Mic mount question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ligeti
alignin' 24-trk

Mic mount question

Post by ligeti » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:50 am

Hello!

I have two AT4050s and have been using the shock mount. I record everything using the Blumlein array and I need real precision when doing that. I find the shock mounts which came with the microphone to be pretty loose and difficult to manipulate.

Can you recommend a standard mount that I can attach to the bottom of the AT4050 which will connect to the microphone stand and where can I purchase these?

Thank you.

http://soundcloud.com/ligeti1964

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi,
Is there a way to tighten the screw or connectors on these mounts?

I usually always take out a large flat screwdriver and a pair of pliers for the older mic mounts that need some tightening.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ligeti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ligeti » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Thank you.

Actually the problem is that these shock mounts are kind of cheap and the actual bands that hold the mic in place are crappy. I've even replaced the bands and they just don't work very well.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:27 pm

I'd call Audio Technica and get them to send you a new rubber band set. They do that for free most times. Parts dept number is 800-443-4669.

maybe ask them if they have a mount for the 4050 that has a tighter grip.

this: maybe? http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/winds ... index.html
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Adam Chesi
studio intern

Post by Adam Chesi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 pm

I personally haven't had too many issues with AT shock mounts being able to hold the mics in place. What exactly are you trying to do that requires these mounts to be so much more, "Precise" and why/how are they moving so much? I'm sure there are alternatives, but I'd rather see if it can be fixed without you spending extra money on that.

Also, as DSW pointed out, they typically replace those bands free of charge, did the replacements you used come from AT or from some other source?
~Adam Chesi
Sweetwater Sales Engineer
Adam_Chesi@sweetwater.com
(800) 222-4700 x1694

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 am

Maybe you're not putting the mic into the mount properly. My 4050 mount is annoying to squeeze the mic into, and the rubber band always covers the polarity switch (just poorly designed) but I've never had the issue of the mic falling out or being loose.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:13 am

Sounds odd to me I always thought the AT (4033) mics had very good mounts supplied with them strong and supportive. Possibly a little clumsy/sticky when swivelling the mic in the holder but thats part of the supportive means.

Are they defective ?

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering studio

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 am

AT actually has a little clamp mount system that goes around the bottom of the mic, right where the XLR cable plugs in. I think I wrote a review of these things for the mag years ago. I've got a handful of them that I use with my 4050s and 4047s. I think it's also the same clip that comes with the ATM450s. They're perfect for this.

AT8471 is the model number.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC