Headphone sends, mono or stereo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Headphone sends, mono or stereo

Post by losthighway » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Do you send a balanced mono signal (both ears same thing) or a stereo signal with some panning to your headphones?

I have always used stereo, but I realize some folks might do it differently.

With 4 aux sends on a board you could have 4 different mono headphone mixes, or 2 different stereo mixes. Hmmm...

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:49 pm

I used to always do mono sends for a band and a stereo send for overdubs, just because I didn't have enough channels. Now with the shure auxpander thingy I always do four stereo mixes. Its sounds way better in the headphones. Also, my presonus headphone amp was a little weak in mono sends but with the stereo sends they sound waaaay better as far as volume, headroom etc. I was surprised by the difference.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:53 am

I would think for tracking and over-dubbing, stereo would have a distinct advantage from the performer's viewpoint; at least that has been my experience in the studio and on stage with in-ear monitor systems like the Avioms. Sometimes it's really hard to hear things when everybody is wailing down the center (de facto mono), but when the panning and volumes are adjusted, it's a lot easier to listen to what you need to to get your part right.

All technical things being equal (enough sends/mixes to do stereo for everybody on the floor), I'd go with that. Of course, they made records before there was stereo (or before there were headphones in the studio!)...

GJ

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:48 pm

if i can, i usually do mono, especially with multiple guitars. seems to give a little more separation so people can hear everything better. that said, it's more panned mono than stereo. i only send kick, snare and one overhead for the drums.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]