Hill mixers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Hill mixers

Post by Dubmaniac » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm

So I have a chance to buy a Hill SDMix 16x4x2 mixer for $175. I can't find anything online about it. Did they only make one of them? Does anybody else know anything about these, or Hills in general? It looks like it's from the eighties. Any information would be a big help. Thanks!
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Never heard of them. Any pix you could post?

GJ

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Never heard of them. Any pix you could post?

GJ
Sure. At the risk of selling it out from under myself, here you go.
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3276252922.html

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm

I don't think they are known for being anything particularly amazing... By drummer has one in storage that used to be his board at a small club he ran. But for $175 you could probably do worse...I thinking these are maybe on par with Mackie/etc, not like you are getting in on some forgotten gem of the 80s or anything.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Hill. Singular, not plural.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Look, for $175 you probably can't go wrong. Are you close enough to drive by and check it out with your own headphones and microphone? If it's quiet and all of the channels work, why not?

GJ

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Hill were middle-to-lower mixers from the 80's. In the same league as Seck, Studiomaster, and Aries. Mid 80's brit designs similar to Soundcraft and maybe Trident 65/24, but build quality wasn't as high.

In college, I was on the A/V crew, and we had a few Hill desks. I replaced a bunch of faders while I was there...they were cheap phenolic ones that seemed to wear out pretty rapidly. They were OK for lectures and stuff with one or two mics, but didn't have the headroom for lots of live inputs at the same time. The Mackie 1604 was new, and was a better mixer...more headroom, more usable EQ, so we phased out the Hills. Mackie ate everybody's lunch at the time.

Still, they seem to have a following around here. Enough to make me wonder if my old impressions aren't entirely fair...
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 pm

I have a couple of Hill MultiMixes. I've also got a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro that I'd trade in a heartbeat for a MultiMix in good shape. These things aren't super quiet. But, the EQ and preamps sound worlds better than any Mackie I've ever used.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 am

Never mind. I drove for about an hour through a thunderstorm and hailstorm, using up a quarter tank of gas, only to find out he had sold it five minutes before, even though he knew I was coming. What an ass hat. I found out yesterday that there was a tornado warning in the area where I was driving, and someone was hit by lightning in that storm. He survived but he's in serious condition. In other words, I risked my life for nothing.

Anyone in Colorado who's reading this needs to know about this waste of oxygen. He goes by the name Adrian Blade, and his band name and email name is Radiation Romeo. If you try to buy something from him, there's a good chance he'll do to you what he did to me. Consider yourselves warned.