Where to draw the line

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:greener.

that shit is fucking up the page and making it unreadable. please fix it.
Dude. The troll has been fed. I think we can expect at least a fortnight more of these anti-social, drug addled non sequiturs.
http://pastebin.com/GLaCkYfh
Here is a Greasemonkey (for Firefox) / Tampermonkey (for Chrome) script that will remove all his posts from your view. I can also make another which replaces all his posts with cats, if that's better.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:04 pm

People from Tanzania are awesome. A gross generalization?
I don't think so. 8)

GJ

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks, although I'm not actually from Tanzania. And I discovered a bug in the script that exhibits itself if the poster double posts. Fixed version: http://pastebin.com/w3hs9dJk. I find it entertaining to make these scripts. Can you tell I'm not terribly busy in my day-to-day life? :D

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:45 pm

You are a prince. If you ever need anything I can help you with, I owe you one. Am I right that it wouldn't be to hard to remove the rows for threads he starts on the forum index pages? The eternal sunshine of the spotless TOMB.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 pm

http://pastebin.com/pyZuz3Sn
This should remove also threads from the forum views.

... I'm sorry for derailing this topic though!

Greener
studio intern

Post by Greener » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:59 pm

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 am

One more spin on the original question:

I've had a similar problem in the past (re graphics design, not music), even though I was GETTING PAID by the friend I was doing the work for. The job went on and on, with endless drafts, and endless requests for more changes.

Any project, whether it's a favor or a paid job, needs to have limits set up front -- or as soon you realize you should have set limits. When i was a peon at a big-time package design place, the contracts said, "This is how many alternatives you get, and this is how many times we'll change it -- more options will cost more money."

What sucks about the OP's situation is that people who think it's okay to push boundaries tend to be the most indignant when you finally set a limit. Sort of like small children.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 am

awesome. thanks for the script.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 am

percussion boy wrote:
Any project, whether it's a favor or a paid job, needs to have limits set up front ...."This is how many alternatives you get, and this is how many times we'll change it -- more options will cost more money."
+1
Maybe the problem wasn't doing a favor for someone for free, maybe it was the open-ended nature of said favor.
percussion boy wrote:
What sucks about the OP's situation is that people who think it's okay to push boundaries tend to be the most indignant when you finally set a limit. Sort of like small children.
Ha. So true!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm

jhharvest wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:greener.

that shit is fucking up the page and making it unreadable. please fix it.
Dude. The troll has been fed. I think we can expect at least a fortnight more of these anti-social, drug addled non sequiturs.
http://pastebin.com/GLaCkYfh
Here is a Greasemonkey (for Firefox) / Tampermonkey (for Chrome) script that will remove all his posts from your view. I can also make another which replaces all his posts with cats, if that's better.
Awesome, I love it jharvest, thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but where do I paste this code in order to auto-ignore greener's posts?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:22 pm

percussion boy wrote:One more spin on the original question:

I've had a similar problem in the past (re graphics design, not music), even though I was GETTING PAID by the friend I was doing the work for. The job went on and on, with endless drafts, and endless requests for more changes.

Any project, whether it's a favor or a paid job, needs to have limits set up front -- or as soon you realize you should have set limits. When i was a peon at a big-time package design place, the contracts said, "This is how many alternatives you get, and this is how many times we'll change it -- more options will cost more money."

And that is why it is always a good thing to have a written agreement. And if someone balks at a written agreement, then it is probably best to not work with that person.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:And that is why it is always a good thing to have a written agreement. And if someone balks at a written agreement, then it is probably best to not work with that person.
How would that work on an unpaid job, though? You'd present documents to your friends to sign?

I'd probably try to talk through my limits and their expectations at the beginning.

A prenup -- that's a different story . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Expectations management is a huge part of any profession. You always want to under-promise and over-deliver (think Scotty from ST-TOS). If you do that, you look like a god. Another person who delivers the exact same product, but promised even more looks incompetent. And you can't leave it up to chance whether or not the client has the same expectations as you. It needs to be discussed at every step where a decision is required, or money is paid, or contracts are signed, etc., etc. And you need to lead the discussion where you want it to go. You can't let the client set the expectations that you have to deliver on, unless they're the captain or they're giving you a blank check.

Next time you interact with any professional watch them work in the expectations management. Are they good or bad at it? What makes them good or bad? Do they do too little, too much or just right? It's a black art, but I think it's the whole ball game, especially in a service industry/profession.
Carl Keil

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 am

Well said, CK. Just don't forget how many times Scotty got fired...

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Well said, CK. Just don't forget how many times Scotty got fired...

GJ
I don't remember him ever getting fired?! Which, if he did ever get fired, illustrates my point. What episodes are you talking about? It doesn't count if he was smitten with some space chick.

Edit. Apparently, I didn't make up this concept. I dunno if any of this is good info, but there's a lot of it...
https://www.google.com/search?q=expecta ... =firefox-a
Carl Keil