QRD diffusor adhesive

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

QRD diffusor adhesive

Post by ricercar.record » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:35 pm

so a while back I built up a QRD diffusor based on the fun tapeop article a few issues ago. I used liquid nails to glue the 2x2 studs to the 3/4" thick baseboard in the given pattern and was quite confident in the effectiveness of the liquid nails..... but alas! My confidence was proven to be naivety. I'm not sure if it's just the crazy Texas heat and humidity that eventually wore down the liquid nails to make the studs fall right off the baseboard or if perhaps I should have just screwed them all in or used some other type of wood glue or epoxy. If anyone has any tips or could share what they used for adhesive for their QRD diffusor I would greatly appreciate the help.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:43 pm

What would happen if you glued the studs to each other, where they overlap, as well?

You could probably get away with plain wood glue in that case.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:52 am

Might be difficult to reglue now that there's Liquid Nails failure smeared over the parts, but...

I really like Titebond II wood glue, mostly I don't even bother with screws or pegs as long as the joint is fairly tight. And a cabinetmaker friend was recently raving about Titebond III as even better.

Greener
studio intern

Post by Greener » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:18 am

From what I can gather you're trying to connect pieces of wood together without introducing some form of electromagnetic element into the equation?

Have you thought about brass staples? Brass nails? Stainless steel is also pretty useless magnetically sometimes... What is this thread about?