flying with mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

flying with mics

Post by joninc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 pm

i am gonna be flying to work in another studio and for the most part, they have awesome gear. there's just a few mics i wanna bring and 500 module or 2.

any tips for the best way to transport this stuff?

carry on?

pelican case?

1 of the mics i wanna bring is a Beyer m160 - is there any risk with ribbons and cabin pressure etc?

it's mostly smallish stuff - like a few pencil mics, m160, 441, and it could all easily fit in a backpack.

btw - the flight is only an hour and a bit.
the new rules : there are no rules

Bill Williams
audio school

Post by Bill Williams » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 am

When I fly with mics I always use an hard plastic case which opens like a big mouth with foam inside. Don't worry about shaped foam just fill it with two bits of foam and sandwich the mic in the middle.

Usually I get extra xrayed because the persons doing the viewing for bombs gets all uppity when they see electronics and such... I just start telling them all about the mic and how wonderful it is and how I love recording things and playing them back in court to explain how retarded people are... It's all very exciting passing through security...

Anyways, take your mics in the cabin with you, all pressure changes should be acceptable unless your ears start bleeding then start worrying about the mics and other things. Have a wonderful adventure.

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 am

Yeah, I've flown with mics and even cables, and its a non-issue, just be prepared to show them at security. I make sure to tell the TSA person working, and pull them out like I do my laptop. If you're polite and open with them, there is usually no major hassle.

One of them explained to me that it wasn't that uncommon for them to see that kind of stuff, and that the musicians union lobbied to make sure that gear could be taken through security.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 am

Yeah, I haven't flown with mikes yet, but I have taken small synth gear like the Kaossilator, Monotron, etc., and of course I always have my trusty c-pap machine (you don't want to know what I'm like without sleep). Shouldn't be a problem, but carry them on, DO NOT CHECK THEM IN LUGGAGE. (There have been recent news reports of theft not only from the usual suspects, but some TSA staff as well, so keep a sharp eye on your precious gear).

Also-- Tony (Drumsound) has a story, if I remember correctly; perhaps he could be pressed to share???? Just remember not to say the word "B***," not even in passing (like-- "Don't worry, it's not a b*** or anything!").

GJ

PS-- I would imagine non-descript electronics like 500 series cards might arouse a lot more suspicion than microphones; it might even make them think the mikes are some kind of "cover." You might want to call the airport and check policy (several times and talk with different people to confirm-- learned that the hard way).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 am

Jeez, I prob'ly wouldn't wanna travel with this then:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 pm

On the contrary vuv; I think you should travel with it, but stick a large wick out of it... Just to see what happens!

:twisted:

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Don't forget about this:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2004-08-1 ... -suspects/

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Whadda great story!

Mebbe not one of these, either:

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 am

I traveled to California about 2 weeks after the Copperphone incident. I had mics in a backpack and a metal briefcase. I arrived early and put them on the belt and told the TSA people that I knew they'd open my bags and I was prepared. They swabbed every last mic (I think I had 10-12 mics) and chit chatted with the folks as they were working. I think being prepared for the inspection and being open with the folks made it quite simple.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:34 am

For your entertainment, here is the official video news story:

http://www.placidaudio.com/2010/08/23/n ... n-youtube/

Enjoy!

-Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:57 pm

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 pm

This reminds me that I need to get a Copperphone!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I fly with miss all the time. Just go early. I have a couple of pelican cases I use, with cutouts for each mic. Remember how much just vibration can put wear marks on things.... having toured a LOT in vans back in the day... anything rubbing up against anything else for ling enough makes a mark.
So don't have a cable touching the mic as it vibrates the whole way there. Put the mic in a plastic or fabric bag, then in the foam of the pelican case.
Its a non issue if you carry on.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 am

A few weeks ago I was in Toronto and picked up a balanced insert kit for my neotek. Basically a fader plate with a few wires sticking out, a few pcbs and 1 very large metal switch. Couldn't have looked more like a bomb or detonator.

I just did what everyone is saying - went early, was very vocal about people needing to look at it. Had a short,confident answer ready when they asked what it was. They swabbed it, looked me up and down and I was on my way.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz