"does your price include mastering?"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:05 pm

I get asked this all the time and where it used to be a "once in a blue moon"-type question, now it seems fairly standard. But I have strong opinions about mastering and have developed a pretty regular way of explaining why I don't do it and why I think it's a good idea that I don't do it. People don't ever get upset that I don't do it (in fact, they're usually appreciative of my little speech), but I am amazed that in this day and age of everyone knowing everything about recording that this question seems more frequent.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

gavintheaudioengineer
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by gavintheaudioengineer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 am

For me, it's all project dependant.

If it's financially backed, with promotion strategy, airplay, tour etc etc then I advise the band/producer to master with a pro, and offer my suggestions of trustworthy individuals. I'll be more inclined to decline.

If it's demo/promo or for shits n giggles, then I'll happily offer an 'optimised mix' as I term it- a simple squash and curve to help it sit at a good level and translate well. I ensure that they understand that this isn't mastering but is suitable for the need.

I do not understand the full process of mastering so I don't pretend that I offer it- I listen to records that have been well mastered by a pro and I do so in awe. Those folks know how to keep it under CONTROL :twisted:
"When you can't find the solution, you can always admire the problem."