Mac Interface - Core Audio - So Drivers don't matter?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Mac Interface - Core Audio - So Drivers don't matter?

Post by analogcabin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm looking at a replacement (8 Mic Pre) Interface for Mac. If they all use the Audio Core Mac driver....... does it really matter which I choose - stability wise?

Put another way I need the most stable Firewire and or USB 8 pre interface for Mac. Is there an advantage (not sonically but stability wise) in using RME or Metric Halo over say... MOTU/M-Audio/Presonus/Focusrite or Echo?

Thanks

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:37 pm

No.

It is not a "standards compliant" type of driver, like Bluetooth, or MIDI, or Printers.

You do need to install the interface's drivers. And different drivers don't work with different interfaces.

I have and like the Motu 828 mkiii. So maybe the Motu 8Pre will work for you.

Stay AWAY from USB audio interfaces for that many audio streams. Don't ask why, just don't do it.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:41 pm

just sonics. I've used Digidesign, Motu, Presonus, Lynx, Mytek, M-Audio, and Echo gear...every single one performed flawlessly and connected upon first input.

I do like the software mixers provided by lynx and others to give some flexibility to the routing.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Theoretically you'd be right. However even if the driver is equally stable not all hardware is created equal. The most common issue is FireWire chip incompatibility between some hosts and interfaces. RME and Metric Halo stuff is at least anecdotally more reliable but then again they are less common so it stands to reason you'd hear of fewer problems...

Sorry. I'm not sure if this post helped at all. Basically I'd recommend you first google interface name+Mac os version problems (e.g. "rme fireface 800 snow leopard problems"). After you find a candidate with fairly few horror stories you negotiate a return policy with the shop and test your new interface meticulously for a couple of weeks

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

If it is Core Audio compatible that means that it will be plug-and-play in OSX. No driver installs required.

As to stability? All depends on the hardware.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)