What have you DIYed lately?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 am

Finished building a C-12 clone out of a $189 Apex 460 mic. I used a 6072 tube, 1 gig grid leak reistor, quality caps and resistors, power supply rebuild, a ck-12 capsule, etc.

Beats out any real C-12 I've ever heard or used.
Last edited by Jim Williams on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:45 am

Gates Biamote made into what it really is, a single-channel preamp.

Cheers,
--
Don

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

After an entire year off from it I am *hopefully* finishing my Fester TG1. Fingers crossed it won't be as tricky as the 33609...

Time to start huffing fumes!

JdJ

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Been a long time since I posted on here. Back in December I got an MXL-990 mod kit with rk-47 capsule from microhpone-parts.com. Ripped out a couple layers of mesh. Turned a free, broken, chinese-made POS into a rather nice mic for acoustic. Haven't tried it on anything else yet.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Still trying to finish up a few things on the Alice 828 and rebuilding an MD 409U3. I've always wanted one of these great mics and soon, I should have a functional one to keep my 421U5 company.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Built a ring modulator & fuzz box for a friend. I used a somewhat altered version of the ring modulator in electronic projects for musicians, and a fuzz face circuit with an added tone control and the option to change the value of the feedback resistor.

Grinder
audio school graduate

Post by Grinder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 am

Built a light dimmer!

Gustav
PCB Grinder (Build your own gear)
https://pcbgrinder.com

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 pm

putting together a homemade Harmonic Percolator pedal. just have to drill the case and assemble. so far I'm not totally convinced this pedal is so great, but I used sockets for some of the parts, and added trimpots to adjust the bias point and see how it sounds then.

also realized the Akai M8 circuit is very similar to a Vox AC4 so I think i'm gonna put one of those together.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Took about 9 months or so but just finished these gobos for my good friend Casey Di Iorio for his Valve Studios in Dallas, TX. Based on the Abbey Road frame design and originally consulted those plans from Mercenary. Dimensions were drawn from the plans, photos they had and Casey tweaked them to taste.

Fun but maddening project requiring a million more hours than I anticipated... Incredibly satisfying to bring them to life though. They're absolutely stellar in action from what I've been told.

Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Ver' 8) !
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am

Just built 3 channels of Classic Audio Products of Illinois VP26 preamps with Red Dot DOAs. I already own one, so I built a second for myself and a pair for a friend. 2/3 work perfectly, one of them (mine) has an issue that I think is a bad output pad. I'll have it fixed up in no time. Love these preamps. Planning on building another pair for me (4 channels in a BAE rack) in May/June.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun May 05, 2013 12:12 pm

not quite as fancy as MT's gobos above, but I built a pair of gobos myself. The frame is made of 1x6 (cheap whitewood). I mounted corner braces inside. Then I stapled fabric to one side (the fabric is simply black bed sheet from Walmart - even cheaper than bulk fabric...). then I installed 6 pieces of 2" thick OC703. Each is 2x4 ft so make that double thick and the frame has to have inside dimensions of 4 ft wide x 6 ft tall. then finish up stapling the other side.

Then I cut some 2 x 4 for the horizontal stabilizers, and to mount the casters on. next, I cut some more 1x6 and sandwiched on the outside so that the frame was essentially 2x6". mounted the casters and stained it and voila.

They can be moved around the studio easily and placed next to the wall probably create a little more bass absorption (although I already have bass traps too).

sorry for sucky cell phone pix...

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com