Defacto Cheap Junky Compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Defacto Cheap Junky Compressor

Post by kslight » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 am

I know this has been done to death, but if you are reaching for a junk compressor that "sucks" in a good way and costs pennies on the dollar (lets say the budget is less than $75 per channel, preferably less) what do you grab? Transparency not important, looking to mostly compress vocals coming from a handheld dynamic mic, though sometimes maybe some mono beats... Junk aesthetic is desirable because for this particular project I am writing junky short songs on my Tascam 388, using "whatever is laying around". I'm thinking something like a dbx 163 would fit right in?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:23 am

I'm sure that would work, but that said, IMHO the 163 is not junky, never really sounds it.

I've read deliciously bad things about the Alesis 3630. There is that inexpensive Samson that might work ...

When I want very obvious and wasting compression, I reach for a Meek, what can be cranked to sound like poo.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 am

163X is indeed an excellent choice for quick and down-to-it for your application, though I wouldn't describe the 163X as junk - it's actually a great compressor at the price range. I love 163X's for all sorts of applications, reliable and fast to set up bass DI for example.

Even more wonderful junk for your application: the iconic Alesis Micro Limiter. Down side is it's a little bit hissier than it should be, but not so much to be a real bother. It's actually not so obtrusive sounding if driven light, and goes all the way up to bizarre smash if driven hard. It's also a cult favorite for drum parallel and other character-smash parallel uses.

DBX118 if you can get one that's A) actually working, and B) cheap. These two factors vary quite a lot.

Just don't get an Alesis 3630. They really are awful, and seldom are the right awful.

The original version of the DOD R-825 is actually quite good for cheap, it's not trash.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 am

+1 on the dbx 117, 118, 119, 128 family! They sound great, do expansion. They're stereo and look cool.
Last edited by Osumosan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 am

Oh - the Fostex MN-50. That might be right in your specified zone.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:50 pm

The Alesis Microlimiter looks like it could be a good fit, especially if bought in a rack with other appropriately bad effects!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 pm

With a soldering iron a few parts and a better power supply, the 3630 can be turned into pretty decent compressor. Look at the Group DIY meta 8)

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm

dbx 163 is snazzy little comp, so completely better than the Alesis unit or cheaper behringer gear.

also look for a used Ashley sc-50's and symetrix 501's. I've found local Craigslist deals from people getting rid of there old live sound rigs than have been sitting for a while.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:50 pm

MXR Dyna Comp, yo.

put a reamp in front of it and a DI after, or run it into an amp, or embrace the impedance mismatch (another means of making it sound more deranged) and just run tracks straight in. parallel drum bus? look out! it's like "Savoy Truffle" but even more F'ed. you can also go straight into the thing with most dynamic mics & an XLR-to-1/4" matching transformer.

any compressor pedal will do. the Barber Tone Press is great for this cause it has the clean blend knob, allowing you to dial down the insanity a little (probably not the goal....).
Last edited by telepathy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
get up with it

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 pm

It's funny: I'll reach for my 163x when my LA2A is busy with other duties.

Not that they sound the same, but I tend to apply them the same way.

And two 163x's daisychained is really bizarre - overeasy pumping, slurping & gurgling.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm

telepathy wrote:MXR Dyna Comp, yo.

put a reamp in front of it and a DI after, or run it into an amp, or embrace the impedance mismatch (another means of making it sound more deranged) and just run tracks straight in. parallel drum bus? look out! it's like "Savoy Truffle" but even more F'ed. you can also go straight into the thing with most dynamic mics & an XLR-to-1/4" matching transformer.

any compressor pedal will do. the Barber Tone Press is great for this cause it has the clean blend knob, allowing you to dial down the insanity a little (probably not the goal....).
Heh I use a Pigtronix Keymaster to run my vocals through pedals, a compressor pedal might do the trick for sure.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:10 pm

telepathy wrote:MXR Dyna Comp, yo.
Thats what I was gonna say. The Alesis Micro Limiter actually rules. It's just filthy sounding when pushed hard. The MXR Dyna Comp starts getting that pumpy sound real quick and if you plug straight into your mixer it might just be the right type of suck you are looking for. I have an old BLA modded 3630 from when they first started doing stuff and it's actually a pretty clean sounding comp. Stock I heard they have a weird spongy sound to them and not to many people like them.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:46 pm

+9 on the Fostex MN-50, (sometimes labeled MN-15),, IF you can find one. Runs on a 9 volt? Mash 4 tracks down simultaneously? Squishy and characterful? You bet 'cha. ;)

Fyi, the "Stereo Rackmount" version of the Dynacomp is called MXR 136 Dual Limiter I think.

I actually have an ad up for an Ashly SC-50 blackface that I'm selling for someone if you're interested:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ashly+sc50

:D

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:35 pm

+1 on pretty much everything listed here.
I love the Micro Limiter and use it parallel on the drum bus on most records I mix.

Also love the 163x for some things (mostly guitars) but I find them a bit noisy for my taste a lot of the time. Then again, if we're talking trashy why complain about noise?

The older 163 is also pretty cool. Very much like the 163x except it's not overeasy.

The Ashley SC-50 is even better than the 163x in my opinion. Way more control, quieter, sounds better on more sources too.

Another very useful bang for your buck compressor is the Electro Harmonix Black Finger. It's tube, opto, and sounds really, really good once you get the gain staging sorted out. I use it on bass all the time.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 am

The Scum wrote: overeasy pumping, slurping & gurgling.
I think I dated her too.