Jazz tenor player wants to sound "warmer and rounder&qu

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:*feels cold and hungry, wonders what to do*
Turn down the upper mids.

To the OP: have you tried putting in a dark reverb? Even a tiny little bit changes the feeling.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am

I sent a new round of mixes to the client, and he signed off on them, and actually sounded as if he liked them! What I did:

Changed the blend of the U87 and the ribbon mic to 50/50, had been about 70/30 U87. This added some more bottom to the tenor. There's a lot of drum bleed in the ribbon channel, and it has a kind of obnoxious low mid bump, so I re-eq'd the drums a bit as well to compensate. Am less happy with the drum sound, but the tenor sounds better, and it's his record.

Added a 300hz bump to the U87 channel, and cut a bit a 2.5k on both the tenor channels.

Changed the horn reverb. I recently picked up the EMT 140 plug-in for my UAD2 card, and hadn't really used it yet. I replaced the Logic Space Designer plate setting I had been using with the EMT. I was able to dial in a nice dark plate that sounded pretty rich.

I'm tempted to send a Voodoo Donuts gift card to the client, but I don't think he'd get it...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:43 pm

NewAndImprov wrote:I sent a new round of mixes to the client, and he signed off on them, and actually sounded as if he liked them! What I did:

Changed the blend of the U87 and the ribbon mic to 50/50, had been about 70/30 U87. This added some more bottom to the tenor. There's a lot of drum bleed in the ribbon channel, and it has a kind of obnoxious low mid bump, so I re-eq'd the drums a bit as well to compensate. Am less happy with the drum sound, but the tenor sounds better, and it's his record.

Added a 300hz bump to the U87 channel, and cut a bit a 2.5k on both the tenor channels.

Changed the horn reverb. I recently picked up the EMT 140 plug-in for my UAD2 card, and hadn't really used it yet. I replaced the Logic Space Designer plate setting I had been using with the EMT. I was able to dial in a nice dark plate that sounded pretty rich.

I'm tempted to send a Voodoo Donuts gift card to the client, but I don't think he'd get it...
Good to read it came out the way the artist wanted it.

Remember, if the albums is NOT a drummer's, then WHY should the drums be front and center? They need to be in their place, BEHIND the stars of the show.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote: Good to read it came out the way the artist wanted it.

Remember, if the albums is NOT a drummer's, then WHY should the drums be front and center? They need to be in their place, BEHIND the stars of the show.

Cheers
Yeah, I totally get that. Changing the balance of the tenor mics actually made the drums louder in the mix, because of the bleed, and in a way that wasn't as nice sounding as the balance I had before, at least IMHO. But re-EQ'ing the other drum channels around the bleed made it sound better, and it actually sounds quite good now, but I still think I liked the earlier sound.