OK, weird mic applications

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:34 am

Here's the cover for a song did for a compilation of stuff recorded using contact mics. Contact mic taped to ductwork leaning against a Kalamazoo Model One with a Boss DR-55 running into it. I also did some other things like shove it in the fold of a dulcimer with a body made of cardboard.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am

mrc wrote:pro 37r on about anything...
They are really great little mics!!!
vvv wrote:It's both, so you get extra credit! 8)

I used a PV520I on the Marshall today (lead on "Damn!"); as a aside, I might like that mic better than the SM7b because it's mebbe a RCH brighter and tighter ...
10 bonus points for using RCH.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:14 pm

:lol:

When I was in college I fell in love with then got dumped by a little strawberry blonde gurrl; my next, and I'm serious, 8 or 10 dates were with red-heads.

I did get back together with the first one eventually, lived with her a cuppla years, then dumped her.

Almost married her, missed by a RCH, I did. :twisted:

Wonder if she woulda liked the Slimaire?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm

You all are FILTHY. FILTHY, I say.

And thanks to my pops for making sure I can keep up with the acronyms in this thread.

One of my favorite acoustic guitar sounds I've ever gotten to date was with a small speaker used as a contact mic meticulously placed and masking-taped in just the right spot on the soundboard of a clunky japanese acoustic. It sounded for anything like a dusty old lo-fi piano.

That may say more about me than my gear, though...
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Vuvvy,

Not so much. :twisted:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GJ

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm

I did a whole session that was pretty much an excuse to go wild. A grindcore band that wanted it to sound "quick a shitty". So I read the "Shitty is Pretty" article and got inspired. First rule of the session was no condensers aloud! For the weird stuff I did. The drums were just one mic using the Tchade Blake technique going into a Sansamp. It sounded pretty gnarly. Other weird stuff, using a Sennheiser e602 "kick drum" mic a room mic. Can't say I will ever do that one again. It sounded like shit and not in a very cool way. I used a SM58 under a trashcan lid. Sounded interesting, had a very ringy short verb to it. 57s as straight room mics and smashed by the Alesis Micro Limiter, not to crazy but I don't think its that common either. They actually sounded pretty good. A 57 or an audix i5 (can't remember) in the back of the room and then into an Alesis Bitrman, bit crusher. That sounded awesome! Really add some filth and girth to the mix. Lastly and most weird a 57 in a plastic bag in a coffee cup full of milk. That sounded weird! No high end except for this strange ringing from the cup and a ton of lowend.

I think I'll make a thread for the session with pics and sound clips in the Listen To My Stuff section if anyone is interested.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Brett Siler wrote:I think I'll make a thread for the session with pics and sound clips in the Listen To My Stuff section if anyone is interested.
Dear God, yes please.

I think I remember reading that the Beatles tried the ol' bagging a mic and putting it underwater thing during one of their sessions... at least you're in good company.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 am

I think mebbe Mr. Siler is winning this round, this decade ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am

You heard it here first folks,, lately I've been singing into the side-vents on the old EV Variable-D mics, (RE-10/16 or other). No joke. Super silky and smooth yet pronounced that's perfect for bk vox, rounded-off doubles or getting an old Bing Crosby vibe on a characterful lead vocal that sounds genuine like you wouldn't even believe. Try it through a tube pre like an EV12ay7 and do experiment with many various placements by going up and down the sides about 1/2"-3" away, (use a popfilter), until the voice sounds really rich and "broadcast-y". I'm a HUGE 635a fan but I could never make love to the RE10 and almost got rid of it before this excellent discovery, now it's my go-to mic for close-mic'd background vox.

Try it. Right now. You'll be pissed that you didn't think of it first.

;)

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 am

Make the drummer wear a lavalier mic. Bonus points for having a weird one like the Amperite 7-Point Junior ribbon.

WE/Altec 633A 'saltshaker' face down on the floor for a PZM type boundary pickup. Cool as a room mic or drum pickup.

Natural phase shifter by swirling two mics around by their cables.

Shotgun mic across the room from that big guitar amp.

Shotgun mic in the kickdrum, super-clicky from the directional pattern, capsule still outside of the front head, so bass pickup from that perspective.

Sorry, no clips to point out.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm

8)

The other day I put a AT PCM on the desk in front of me for tambo, then used it as the room mic onna Marshall.

As an aside, I think I am preferring the Peavy 520i - a "kick mic" but also for other stuff including vox - to the SM7b on vocals; it's a bit brighter and not as thick, therefore needing but a pass filter ...

Did I say that already?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm

lightandmind wrote:You heard it here first folks,, lately I've been singing into the side-vents on the old EV Variable-D mics, (RE-10/16 or other). No joke. Super silky and smooth yet pronounced that's perfect for bk vox, rounded-off doubles or getting an old Bing Crosby vibe on a characterful lead vocal that sounds genuine like you wouldn't even believe. Try it through a tube pre like an EV12ay7 and do experiment with many various placements by going up and down the sides about 1/2"-3" away, (use a popfilter), until the voice sounds really rich and "broadcast-y". I'm a HUGE 635a fan but I could never make love to the RE10 and almost got rid of it before this excellent discovery, now it's my go-to mic for close-mic'd background vox.

Try it. Right now. You'll be pissed that you didn't think of it first.

;)
Very cool!

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 am

drumsound wrote:I've had really good luck with AT Pro37r on super crunchy Mesa guitar rigs.
Me Too!!! It's the best for Mesa dual rectifiers. I don't know why, but they are magical together.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:54 am

casey campbell wrote:
drumsound wrote:I've had really good luck with AT Pro37r on super crunchy Mesa guitar rigs.
Me Too!!! It's the best for Mesa dual rectifiers. I don't know why, but they are magical together.
the voicing of the Dual Rec and the Pro37 seem made for each other. It's weird, but great.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:12 pm

used to use my ev676 for kick drum, using its side vents. those ev's with the side vents are always fun mics.