Windows 8. Was kind of forced into it; Wow it works well.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Windows 8. Was kind of forced into it; Wow it works well.

Post by Chris_Meck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am

So, I was basically forced into running Windows 8 on my DAW. I've been running 64 bit Vista, bought some Waves plugs that required Windows 7 so I loaded it. However, I didn't have the bread to buy a new one, so I used install discs from a different computer in the house. About a month later, I got around to purchasing a license, but you couldn't get it anywhere because Windows 8 was now out. I snoozed, I lose.

So I took a deep breath and took the plunge.

So far (knock on wood) it has been completely stable. It really seems FASTER. I have to adjust less for latency. Everything is instantaneous. There's no pause while the computer, say, saves a track like there used to be. (not a long pause, but you know what I mean). I usually keep a performance meter up, and recording/overdubbing or mixing 16 tracks with Waves comps, etc. on most channels is showing like 5% comp. usage. That used to be more like 16-17%.

Just saying that I'm really noticing a difference. In the past, Ive had lots of trouble getting everything to handshake, with this it was one try and done. So far no glitches of any kind.

Just fyi: I'm running Reaper, a MOTU 24 i/o with a quadcore PC, 8 gb ram. I treat it like a tape machine with editing capabilities and come out 1/1 into a modified 32 ch. Ghost console.
greetings from Flyover Country...

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 am

OH, I should add this:

There is no 'official' support for Windows 8 from Waves, or MOTU. Reaper, I think, did. Or maybe MOTU did but Reaper didn't...anyway, point being, the Windows 7 drivers seem to work flawlessly on the new OS.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 am

Also, if you need to run Windows 7 or earlier, and you have installation media for the OS you want to run, you can buy a license for Windows 8 and run the older version legally, as long as it's the same "Edition". Edition being the "Pro", "Home", "Media Center" or whatever package of Windows.

So, if you want to run Windows 7 Business and you have Windows 7 Business DVDs, you can legally run it if you buy a Windows 8 Business license (which you get in a retail box in a store along with Windows 8 Business DVDs).

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Hard to believe that you can't buy Win7 right now. 8 is just out, and you could buy XP for years after 7 came out.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:34 pm

You can, I just bought it, waiting for delivery.

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:35 pm

every store in KC (well, okay, the 3 I went to) had pulled all Windows 7's from the shelves. Big empty slot where the Windows 7's were, big full slots full of Windows 8. Wouldn't sell me a copy.

I'm not saying you couldn't get it SOMEWHERE, but when I called Microsoft tech support, they could only find one copy of whatever the most expensive version was ($299) and would have to have it shipped to me. So, YMMV. This was just my experience.

Anyway, 8 is great.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:13 am

I'm still running Windows 7 32 bit as my large PC DAW and run a Macbook Pro as well. I have Reaper on both now. Reaper does support Windows 8. A lot of guys in their forum have had good experiences with it on Windows 8. I may be looking into that later as my PC probably could use a good upgrade soon. With 32 bit Windows, I still stuck with 4 gigs of RAM, but it doesn't cause me much trouble. Only concern I have is my Duende mini which I'm still using. I cross graded to Duende native which has 64 bit support but I lost my licenses on a crappy Windows 7 laptop that I forgot to remove them from and now SSL shows all my native licenses in use. :( So I just kept using the firewire box Duende Mini...