can a transformer be safely submerged in water?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rjd2
steve albini likes it

can a transformer be safely submerged in water?

Post by rjd2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 pm

yea, so....that.

i've got a trident fleximix that has some shitty connections on the preamp cards. ive tried cleaning them, but not much has been solved. on my synth restos, i've switched over to the full bath technique that i learned from a respected synth tech; i now use it with great results. basically, if its a PCB with resistors, IC's, caps, transistors, diodes-i will gladly bathe that bitch for a 1/2 hour, luxuriate and exfoliate the little fucker, and im almost always better off. however, this seems to be more problematic with a transformer. any thoughts? big no-no? thanks, rj

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm

In general, "washable" components are the ones that won't absorb any water, so we can be confident that they're dry when it's over.

My PCBs get washed part way through assembly in a machine that looks like an industrial dishwasher. "Part way through" because there are some components like the pushbutton that would absorb water, so they're put on afterwards.

For transformers, it might depend on how it's packaged. If it's in a sealed can that's watertight, you're probably OK. If it's an open core and windings, I'd keep it dry - it'll be very hard to know for certain that the insides of the windings are dry.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Never immerse a transformer in water. Interleaved and multi-tap transformers have a layer of paper separating the layers of windings. Damp ness in the transformer can cause the windings to arc, thereby screwing the turns ratio permanently.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:32 am

"Don't wash me, bro!"
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.