388 troubles

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

androids anonymous
audio school

388 troubles

Post by androids anonymous » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 pm

hey all-

don't stop me if you've heard the one about the guy that recently picked up a 388 and can't use it...

i've tried recording and either get nothing at all, or an extremely low signal on playback. also, the VU meters don't respond, though the overload light is peaking. the VU meters definitely work, as they do register when playing a previously recorded tape. i followed the manual step-by-step, as well as a very detailed post on another board as far recording goes, and can't figure out where i'm tripping up. i feel like it's something very simple, and i'm gonna wanna kick myself when it's over.

sorry for the n00b shit, but i feel i've exhausted searching this board and others trying to nail this.

thanks for your halp!

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:35 am

Just making sure you hit all things on this checklist:

-Arming the desired track, (try any track 2-7 to start off with)
-Check the "Meter" button to make sure it's in the correct position, (I forget which one)
-Make sure you have "Stereo" or whatever selected on the lower far right side of the unit, Aux and EFFECT should not be pressed down.
-Now go to any of the tracks and make sure it's on either line for 1/4" or mic for xlr
-Make sure the orange L/R buss faders are at unity (zero)
-On that track depress the corresponding white button that contains the number of the track you armed and put the pan knob either to the left if it's an odd number, right it it's even.

Viola, (hopefully). Hope this helps!

androids anonymous
audio school

Post by androids anonymous » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm

thanks for your help! ...but no such luck. the fuses seem okay (checked with a multimeter and they all read), the caps aren't leaky, and there isn't an unusual amnount of dust inside. at first i was convinced i was the wonky factor, but after having followed three different sets of instructions and having the same result with all three, i figure there's a weird tech issue with it. any ideas?

aaarrrrrggghh.

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 am

Try also not depressing the L/R switch... this threw me off also.

The 388 is slick but it's not as straightforward to start recording with; its got a lot of steps to remember before getting that signal to tape...

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 am

you do have a manual, yes?
If not, they are online.
Just go through the steps they outline one by one.
as far as fuses, they can look and test good, but still not work.
They are cheap enough, so maybe just replace if they are older.
dont turn around

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:31 am

Have you cleaned and demagnetized the heads?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:15 pm

-Make sure you have "Stereo" or whatever selected on the lower far right side of the unit, Aux and EFFECT should not be pressed down.
This is the step it sounds like you're missing, if you get very low volume on playback (the audio from the stereo, aux, and effect bus can bleed across each other).

Let's start from the top (from back to front of the machine).

1. Plug a mic into channel 1.
2. Change Input to "Mic"
3. Turn up mic pre gain halfway (there is no phantom power).
4. It shouldn't make a difference, but leave EQs flat, Aux button set to "Pre", Aux and Effect knobs all the way down.
5. Press the 1 and 2 button, then the L and R button, then pan all the way to the left.
6. Push your fader up to 0.
7. In the monitor section, for now turn all knobs up, and pan all knobs L and R fully. Push Orange PGM faders to 0.
8. Arm track 1, set Aux and Effect knobs all the way up for now, NONE of the meter buttons nor the mono button should be depressed. Push Red Master fader to 0.
9. Check the mic, you should see level on channel 1 and in the left stereo VU.
10. Press the Stereo button on the transport, turn up the monitor/phones knob to 2 or 3, and plug in some headphones to the front of the unit. You should hear your checking.

Assuming the above has worked.
11. Load your reel of tape, then press the reset button the transport to set time to 0:00.
12. Press and hold play and record simultaneously to begin recording...record 30 seconds of audio.
13. Stop, then press RTZ on the transport.
14. Disarm track 1, switch the input on Channel 1 to RMX, press play. You should hear your check.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 pm

not sure you want that L/R button pressed until play back

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:48 pm

E.Bennett wrote:not sure you want that L/R button pressed until play back
Yes its fine. Unless I've been doing it wrong...

androids anonymous
audio school

Post by androids anonymous » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

thanks, but still nothing. it looks like there's a breakdown between the OL indicator (which works when peaked) and the VU's (which don't, except for channel 2 ??aarrgh!!). i can hear myself monitored when L-R is on, but nothing after i pull it up. i hear nothing when STEREO is depressed, but hear the mic checking when AUX is on.

i've followed the manual, and (definitely appreciate) all the instructions here to the proverbial capital T; even had a recording buddy over to check for himself, to see if i was missing something. as far as i can tell, something internally is screwed. anything i should be looking for when i peel the back off?

seriously all, thanx again.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Did you try my steps EXACTLY?

You shouldn't hear anything in Aux, if you had the Aux send knobs on the channel itself turned down...I don't think.

Were you able to record something and play it back, and hear it in Aux?

Its possible that something internally is wrong, no offense but it sounds more like user error from this end.

androids anonymous
audio school

Post by androids anonymous » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:37 am

@kslight following your steps exactly, i can totally hear myself. however, it's step #9 where i lose it. nothing shows up on my VU meter. tried recording anyways, and there's nothing on the tape. all of your steps were super-helpful, until it was time for signal to show up on the VUs. and no offense taken: i really, really want to believe it's user error.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:22 am

For s and g's, plug into input 1 but then press down all the buss buttons (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8) and pan center, and arm all tracks. That would put your check on all channels. See if any tracks register input, and see if the stereo VU lights from any of those. This could potentially narrow down if you have a bad channel card. In the monitor buss section (below where you arm the tracks) you do not have the meter, monitor, or insert buttons pressed, correct?

androids anonymous
audio school

Post by androids anonymous » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 pm

again, nothing registers on any of the VU's. and nothing in the buss department is pressed. i know i'm getting a signal to the board, because a) my OL indicator is lighting up, and b) i can hear myself (becuase L-R is engaged).

androids anonymous
audio school

Post by androids anonymous » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 pm

could it be the fuses? i plan on changing them out regardless, it's just a matter of gathering the courage to leave my house and venture into the holiday madness.