Easy drum machine for practice recommendations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Easy drum machine for practice recommendations

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 pm

I think I asked this exact thing a few years ago and had an HR-16 for a while but I can't find the thread. I am really working on my drum technique while I have some time between bands and I really want a SIMPLE TO USE drum machine. One with bass on it would be great also.

I am working through a couple of new books, namely the Gavin Harrison book about beat displacement. I would love to grab a fairly cheap drum machine that I could quickly plug in the regular beat / displaced beat from the book loop them and play along moving back and forth to really nail the parts etc. Then maybe program a simple bass part to practice along free form etc.

Right now I was looking at the basic stuff, Boss DR-3, Zoom RT stuff etc. Any good suggestions? No software, I am really looking for something I can have right there while I am sitting at my drums to just punch in and go. Obviously has to have a headphone output which is what sucked about the HR-16.

Thanks!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:46 pm

I've run headphones on one of the outs from the HR-16 :lol:

There's also the SR-16.

Does it have to be a *"Drum-Machiney Drum-Machine Making the Drummer Drums" (tm) type of unit? I LOVE both the Korg Kaossilator, and the new Kaossilator 2. The K2 would be especially cool for what (I think) you want-- there is some flexibility in sounds and a few programming tricks, but it's not really a drum-machine for intricate programming... It's a synth/looper with drum sounds (a bunch of cool sounds and pre-made loops from the sublime to the ridiculous). You get two sample pads/banks with either a 4 beat or 8 beat measure each. That's it, but that's plenty-- if you want to make DJ-type loops or layered electronic stuff to your heart's content, you can go to town, but if you just want a little rhythm loop to jam with, and maybe a little bass line and some keyboard samples, you can do that too.

About $150-$160, about the size of a smartphone; cool, fun, you won't want to put it down and can take it anywhere. Has headphone out. Only drawback is you won't get alot of volume from the unit itself if you're going to play with sticks. You'd have to use either Blasticks or brushes, or plug the Korg into an amp or headphone amp or something.

GJ

*Sorry-- Reference to another thread that makes no sense here, but I did it anyway.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Here's a somewhat fun link to check out the K2, in case you haven't seen it.
Despite what you see/hear for most of this video (stick it out to the end), you _can_ actually get some pretty convincing organic drum and bass grooves with a few of the patches and some practice; it doesn't all have to be bleepity-bleep. PLUS-- You can sample your own groove if you want to, and play along with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQeP3y1F2w

GJ

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks, I will definitely check that out. I forgot to mention that I do have a kindle fire and I downloaded Caustic, which is basically a rip off of Reason. The demo wasn't bad but the drums are all 808 house type drums and while I don't care if they sound "realistic" necessarily, I would like it to sound at least close to a real drum set.

Speaking of which, I was messing with Garageband on a friends' Ipad today and while that would probably be a great solution; I don't want to drop that much scratch AND my wife or daughter would probably monopolize that most of the time!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:47 am

The Kaos thing is awesome, but yeah not really what I want. Plus, if I bought one I would pretty much do nothing but play with it for the next few months and probably wouldn't get much drumming in. I do love to mess with them when I go to Guitarget.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 am

I've had a Zoom RT234 for a long time. I find it very easy to use. Almost as easy to program the beats as it is to tap record them. Doesn't sound spectacular but good. Can't control stereo placement. Has headphone out and bass sounds. I think they're very cheap now.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 am

Rufer wrote:I've had a Zoom RT234 for a long time. I find it very easy to use. Almost as easy to program the beats as it is to tap record them. Doesn't sound spectacular but good. Can't control stereo placement. Has headphone out and bass sounds. I think they're very cheap now.
Thanks, I was kind of leaning towards one of these so that's good to hear.