Monitoring In The "Sweet Spot"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lightandmind
pushin' record

Monitoring In The "Sweet Spot"

Post by lightandmind » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:08 pm

I just grabbed a used set of B&W Matrix 805's, (Adcom GFA-555 poweramp), and despite reading mostly that one should monitor with their ears aligned with the tweeters, I find that the music sounds the most full, euphoric, in-phase and most-even across the frequency spectrum when my ears are above the cone towards the top of the woofer, and I've experienced this with most monitors I've worked on. Am I missing something?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 pm

If it works for you, don't question it.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks Tony! I know, I know, that's my whole realm of thought ALWAYS, though sometimes it's easy to question the methods to your madness and you just need some reassurance, and that's when I turn you fine folks ;)

Picking up a BeyerDynamic M88 soon, I know you love that mic, can't wait!
"I can feel it, coming in the air tonight,,," lol

brinnbacka
ass engineer

Post by brinnbacka » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm

most two-way monitor's acoustic axis is exactly in between the tweeter and the bass driver. there's specs for these at most manufacturer's sites, at for the better ones who might actually give a fuck about publishing such a thing.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:12 pm

most two-way monitor's acoustic axis is exactly in between the tweeter and the bass driver. there's specs for these at most manufacturer's sites, at for the better ones who might actually give a fuck about publishing such a thing.
I knew it! Thanks, that makes me feel better. I would have kept monitoring the same way anyway, just want to feel better about it I suppose.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:38 pm

In general, I think the "sweet spot" has more to do with what is happening with early reflections, as well as bass irregularities in the room, than it does with the speakers being a few inches higher or lower.

Details here: http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 pm

In general, I think the "sweet spot" has more to do with what is happening with early reflections, as well as bass irregularities in the room, than it does with the speakers being a few inches higher or lower.
Cool link, thank for chiming in, very familiar with the topic of early reflections though. I believe that to be a factor, but a small one. The location of the "sweet spot" on my previous set of monitors was always in the same place regardless of what room I was in, and boy did they travel with me. Always the same sweet spot, every room, every time.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 am

It does indeed depend on the dispersion characteristic of the tweeter (highs are most directional) As a rule tweeter at ear height is a good starting point. However some speakers (including my PMC IB1S) advise on having the tweeter somewhat higher than ear height and also no speaker "toe in". It is related to the dispersion characteristic of these specific speakers.

Your room and taste preference will have a bearing on the best settings along with room measurements.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering
Last edited by SafeandSoundMastering on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:58 am

My B&W 805s have amazing side-to-side dispersion, although there is definitely a difference in the location of my head in relation to the tweeters. But, I will say that getting used to wherever they are is never a problem. I've taken them to tons of studios where the meter bridge or speaker stands are at different heights and I've never had a problem with them. If you're using them in the same room most of the time, you can experiment with where you like them, height-wise, but if you like what those speakers do, they'll be really easy to get used to.

Also, what JWL said:
the "sweet spot" has more to do with what is happening with early reflections, as well as bass irregularities in the room, than it does with the speakers being a few inches higher or lower.
I think this is especially true with speakers that have any kind of decent dispersion. If you use something like Event 20/20s, they sound good in a very, very narrow sweet spot, so the room makes less of a difference, which is great if you never, ever move while you're mixing.

For what it's worth, I like using my 805s with my ears in about the same place as you're describing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:47 pm

lightandmind wrote:
Thanks Tony! I know, I know, that's my whole realm of thought ALWAYS, though sometimes it's easy to question the methods to your madness and you just need some reassurance, and that's when I turn you fine folks ;)

Picking up a BeyerDynamic M88 soon, I know you love that mic, can't wait!
"I can feel it, coming in the air tonight,,," lol
M88 is such an amazingly useful tool. Enjoy.