Standing desk users?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Standing desk users?

Post by inasilentway » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Hey gang,
I figured this would be the appropriate forum since it's a computer desk question. Has anyone tried out using a standing desk for their DAW?

I was doing a bunch of demos recently that involved a lot of getting up and standing to sing and play guitar, and it was tedious to keep hunching over to the table constantly. I tried out raising my MacBook with stacked-up cardboard boxes on my usual table and it's doing wonders. I'm thinking about building that DIY Ikea one.

Post pictures if you've got one!
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:53 pm

My brother is a full-time software developer, and he's been doing the standup desk thing for years. Has one of the official IKEA desks with the adjustable height. Loves it.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing just for my casual computer use at home. At work (live sound company) I'm on my feet a fair amount of the time, but I tend to kill way too much time on the Internet here at home.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 pm

For me, and YMMV, but I only stand at the bar if I absolutely must.

Why would I wanna stand at the DAW?

(I mean, sit to sing and play guitar, why don'cha. :twisted: )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I've been thinking about doing the same thing just for my casual computer use at home. At work (live sound company) I'm on my feet a fair amount of the time, but I tend to kill way too much time on the Internet here at home.
Yeah I feel like something about being seated lends itself to killing infinite time, but if you're standing up it's much easier to pay attention and stay focused. Haven't been doing it long enough to say for sure but it's a hunch. Now I need to finagle something more durable than a cardboard box...
vvv wrote:(I mean, sit to sing and play guitar, why don'cha. :twisted: )
Because I find it much more uncomfortable and unnatural than playing and singing standing up, and in particular I find that my breathing is much easier to control. Different strokes, but if singing sitting down works for you more power. I spend large chunks of my life sitting in a van for hours at a time, so I'm not really looking for more excuses to take a seat.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am

I was inspired by Lee Scratch Perry to switch to a standing desk. (Wrote about that here: http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/08/09/th ... at-mixers/)

I like it a lot. It's nice to have a stool as an option, though. And sometimes when I write, I take a page out of Truman Capote's book and lie down flat on my back.

But for mixing, I have found standing up to be the cat's pajamas.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 pm

I program for a living, and all the hours in the chair was killing my back, legs and arms. I've been using this, it's not cheap by totally worth it: http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails ... fault.aspx
It let's you go from sitting to standing in a second.

I'm in the process of moving my studio and office into the same space. I plan on having the DAW keyboard/monitor/mouse on this desk off to the right side of the mixer, in an L configuration. This way I can stand when I mix, AND, I'm not staring at a computer screen as the music plays back. I find my brain can focus on what it's hearing much better when not also focused on something visual.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:31 pm

I did end up improvising a standup desk here at home, and I really like it.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:05 am

'Nother stander, here. DAW laptop on top of the piano, keyboard station set up for either standing, or a high piano bench. Agreed with all previous benefits.