Reaper: finally made the switch

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I love Reaper to the max. I use it every day, and every day I love it more. I've used Cubase, Nuendo, Logic and PT, and prefer Reaper hands-down.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah so I just grabbed the latest version. It took under a minute to install and booted to ready state in about 5-10 seconds. During the initial boot it recognized my interface, I/O and control surface. So sweet.

I've only ever used Pro Tools. Reaper has a totally different workflow it seems, and I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it. I've watched a few online videos but it's been pretty tedious, and not that helpful. Anyone have any tips on easing the learning curve coming from PT?

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Your first best friend is the right-click. Right-clicking almost anywhere will bring up a useful context menu, so if you're ever confused, chances are that right-clicking in a relevant area will show you something useful.

Your next best friend is the Action List (shortcut: command+"?" in mac, ctrl+"?" in windows). It will bring up a pretty darn comprehensive list of anything you might want to do, and next to each action name, it will show you the shortcut. Take a couple of minutes to browse around on the list, and you'll get a sense for the Reaper terminology (Different DAWs all seem to have their own lingo, as far as their definition of "item", "region", etc.). Once you have a basic sense for the vocab, then the filter allows you to quickly search for the action you're imagining. And it's super easy to re-define any shortcut, so if you want, you can make it behave more like PT, Nuendo, or whatever else you're used to. When I switched over, I started Cubasifying it, but the more I fell in love with Reaper, the more I started going with the Reaper defaults or coming up with my own ways of doing things. The ease with which one can create their own custom actions, shortcuts, toolbars, menus, etc. is one of my favorite things about this incredible software.

At every turn, I find myself pleasantly surprised by this sense that the developers are not only brilliant, but also really considerate to the users, constantly tweaking the software to make it more sensible and efficient, and allowing an unparalleled amount of access "under the hood" to get Reaper working just right for each user. I could go on and on!

I dimly remember being disoriented by the lack of a tool-based cursor system as in PT and Cubase, and even thinking of it as a hassle, but once I got used to the way Reaper handles slicing and dragging, for example, I loved it. Now when I use PT and Cubase, having to switch tools for different tasks seems like a huge pain. Then I remember cutting tape with a razor blade and stop complaining ;)

Hopefully that helps! I hope you enjoy Reaper as much as I do, and keep the questions coming if you want. The Reaper forum is also very helpful. It has a similar supportive, jolly vibe to that of the good ol' TOMB. I'm "michaeltonight" over there.

Cheers!

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Sometimes I worry that I sound like a secret marketer for Reaper. I'm not. I don't work for or even know anyone at Cockos. I'm just an uberfan.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks, crow! That is already helpful. As far as "PT-alizing" Reaper, I know that is the temptation but like you said, I think long term it is in my best interest to learn the new system/way of thinking. But yeah, I'll try out those ideas, and post here or on the R-forums when I have more questions!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:28 pm

The manual is really helpful, also. I spent a couple hours skimming through it when I switched to Reaper, and that got me up to speed quickly.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 am

So far the thing that's bugging me the most is the mixing workflow. Specifically, having to retrain my brain on bussing/sends, and not having pretty-looking plugins that I'm familiar with (specifically, Massey). Whether or not the ReaPlugs? sound good is kinda beside the point. They look fucking stupid and aren't fun to play with at all. Regardless of whether something is digital or analog, I just like to grab knob and start turning and listening. There's too many menus and too much text in the ReaPlugs?.

I really want this transition to work so I can break free of ye old Teat of Comforte?. So far I'm on the fence. Will keep plugging away though.

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey Crow--thanks for the tip about the Action List, that just made my day!

I've been evaluating for a little more than a month now, but I'm ready to hand my money over. I'm amazed not only by the fact that you get so much for your dollar--and I mean quality as well as quantity--but by the fact that it works so well on my cheap-o primitive computer: I'm the case study for just how lousy a system REAPER can still function perfectly on.

Not too long ago I was in DAW limbo, but this thread nudged me in the right direction. No question, I'm a full-on REAPER-ite now, so thanks Getreel!

Joe

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 pm

germaniac wrote:Hey Crow--thanks for the tip about the Action List, that just made my day!

I've been evaluating for a little more than a month now, but I'm ready to hand my money over. I'm amazed not only by the fact that you get so much for your dollar--and I mean quality as well as quantity--but by the fact that it works so well on my cheap-o primitive computer: I'm the case study for just how lousy a system REAPER can still function perfectly on.

Not too long ago I was in DAW limbo, but this thread nudged me in the right direction. No question, I'm a full-on REAPER-ite now, so thanks Getreel!

Joe
Awesome! Glad to hear it! I know switching really helped me out too!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't fucking "get" Reaper. Everyone goes, "Oh it's so easy, the routing is so great." Bla bla. "Watch some tutorial videos!" I watched the videos. Fuck the videos.

Pro Tools 9, which I paid good fucking money for, and know how to use, and sucks complete ass, goes: }{{}#@$)XXZZZzzzzz

That blows, so, I fire up Reaper. Then I go, "what the fuck?" And spend a billion hours trying to figure shit out.

Fucking computers. Has anyone tried this shit?

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Never mind, I get it now.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 pm

I've tried reaper a little bit but I'm not sold. I may have been using Pro Tools for too long now or something, but I'm just not into Reaper.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:20 am

Personally, I don't feel like Reaper is better than any other DAW, and if I had tons of money I'd be using Pro Tools. I'm using Reaper because it is almost as good as most other DAWs and it's MUCH cheaper.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 am

Sorry guys, I was drinking. :oops:

I officially made the switch this weekend. Pro Tools crashed one too many times and gave me too much grief. Trash prefs? YOU trash prefs, motherfucker!

I'd say for me, ultimately Reaper is "better" because it is a modern, properly designed application that runs fast and lean and makes use of modern hardware capabilities. It boots right up and is super stable. It's priced for normal people and isn't run by out of touch suits in a big, dumb corporation. All that is enough to sell me. I'll figure out the workflow stuff over time.

Goodbye to bad rubbish.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:36 pm

8)

FWIW, I've tried a few DAWS, and like Reaper second best, which is why I'm still using Cool Edit Pro 2.1
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.