HD24>interface TBD>MacBook

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

HD24>interface TBD>MacBook

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 pm

A friend is asking me about this setup and I don't remember if the HD24 will let you monitor through the lightpipe outs. If it will, I'm thinking that this wouldn't be a bad way to go, given a good FireWire interface and possibly a master clock. Is this crazy? And if it's not crazy, I'm not seeing a lot of gear in the 24 channels of ADAT>fw800 department.

Anyway, your thoughts and rankings are greatly appreciated.
Prog out with your cog out.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 pm

The HD24 will let you record to the unit and simultaneously monitor, analog or digital. I'm 100% anyway on digital, pretty sure it will analog. I wouldn't bother with a master clock, just set the HD24 as master and clock the interface. One thing about the HD24 is that it is more reliable at 48k (and 96k if you use an HD24XR) than 44.1...I don't remember exactly how or why but when I recorded at 44.1 I was getting pops and weird artifacts and since I switched I haven't had any issues...this was a tip from the forum.

I use an HD24XR which feeds and clocks an M Audio Lightbridge into whichever computer. When I record concerts I simultaneously record on the HD24XR and in Pro Tools (fed from the ADATs), and it works great. Otherwise I just use the HD24XR as converters in my system, also works well.

There isn't much if anything out there in the 24 channels of ADAT to FW800 department, at least not in a reasonable price range. Your other option would be to daisy chain interfaces...but that is a PITA. I was able to pick up a Lightbridge fairly cheaply online and it does the job.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks!

Looks like the light bridge is out of production, though.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:13 pm

dick sidechainey wrote:Thanks!

Looks like the light bridge is out of production, though.

For that matter so is the HD24...

Indeed it is, eBay it. I can't think of anything currently produced that will take 24 in and out via ADAT into Firewire, for whatever reason it doesn't exist. I believe your next options would cost at least a few thousand dollars, and be sort of hobbled together to get there. For less than 1/10 the cost the Lightbridge makes sense, at least it did to me.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 pm

He already owns the hd. And maybe lack of options is a symptom of the lightpipe format growing long in the tooth.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 pm

dick sidechainey wrote:He already owns the hd. And maybe lack of options is a symptom of the lightpipe format growing long in the tooth.

It is, though one doesn't have any trouble finding interfaces with 1 or 2 ADAT I/O, one would think they'd ditch it entirely if it was totally worthless. More likely just that not a lot of people have 24 channels worth of ADAT anymore, due to the lack of current popularity in the ADAT decks. As such though, it is a very economical way to get lots of I/O and works totally fine if you are willing to work in its limitations and protocols.

xfmr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xfmr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 am

I don't know of ANY interfaces the go 24ch ADAt > FW800, but there are two FW400 units. The previously mentioned M-Audio Lightbridge and the Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe. The Presonus actually has 32 channels of ADAT I/O AND its not made by M-Audio, so its got that going for it. I've never used it, though. If it were me I would daisy chain two MOTU 828 Mk3 units since each has 16 channels of ADAT and the very useful DSP mixing / monitoring software Cuemix.