attenuator vs Master Volume on a modded Fender Twin

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ethansnew
audio school graduate

attenuator vs Master Volume on a modded Fender Twin

Post by ethansnew » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:58 pm

yo

I have a 70s fender twin that has been modded out....the vibrato channel has been blackfaced and the normal channel has a "marshall mod" to it (not sure what exactly that means, but thats what the guy who sold it to me called it and the gain sounds sweet). When he did the modding he unhooked it from the master volume, which now does nothing, and the amp now is only controlled by the volume knobs on each of the channels.

I would like to get a more saturated tone at a reasonable volume, so I was thinking about getting an attenuator or having the master volume rehooked up. The thing about an attenuator is that there is nowhere to plug one in in the back of the amp (i believe) between the speakers and the amp. Anyone know if this can be created by a technician?

The other option would be to see if a technician could rehook up my MV control, but I have a feeling that might kill some of the mods that the guy put in the amp, which I would like to keep if possible. Also if I understand correctly, that would not help me get overdrive from the powertubes which is a really gorgeous sound I would like to tap into. I was thinking about going the attenuator route also because I have a different amp I could really use it on (sunn 2000s woot). Any opinions on what I should/could do?

Thx for the help yall!

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm

There should be 2 female jacks on the amps back panel, one marked "speaker" and one marked "External". There should be a 1/4 inch plug that goes from the "Speaker" output, that is where the attenuator would be connected. Speaker Out>Attenuator In>Attenuator Out>Speaker In......Tone King Makes the best attenuator out there, all transformers, no resistors. It is amazing, and amazingly expensive (800 USD). I use a THD 8 ohm for a Princeton Head and 12 inch single. The THD is great for everything, and sounds good at all levels. About half the price of the Tone King. My Princeton has a post phase inverter master, which is super useful when I dont want to use the Attenuator. Its good to have both.......

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm

With a Twin you can also pull two of the power tubes (either the inner pair or outer pair) and half the wattage. It does change the tone a little, and make it in to exactly the same circuit as a Pro from that era, but it's probably the least intrusive option. It still won't bring it down more than a few dbs though.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Do not restore the MV control. You will lose tone. The MV is still intact on my Fender silverface amp but I can hear it lose tone when I drop it down so it stays at 10.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 am

Power scaling/ B+ voltage dumping is really your best option.

At least from a tone standpoint. Easy little kits out there to be had. They get a bit grainy at extreme settings, but in a much more interesting sounding way than most attenuators do.

I haven't heard the tone king one.... Interesting concept though. I wanna check that one out!

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 am

I would re-install the master volume pot. Don't use the original push-pull version or circuit, it's badly done. A straight CTS 1 meg pot or a Bourns conductive plastic will do it without tone damage.

All of my old Fender amps have a master volume pot. Set up to '10' it's out of circuit so it's no different than not having it.

Usually I set my Showman heads to about '7' or 7.5. That allows full power without output stage saturation, it leaves more dynamics. The input volume is set to 9 or 10. Then the guitar controls the overdrive amount. Add a good fuzz and it's Hendrix at the Forum.

I have a 1966 Deluxe Reverb, 1965 Showman, 1967 Showman and a 1971 Vibro Champ, all have master volume pots added. The Showman preamps are like 1959 bassman designs, similar to Marshall super Lead 100's.
It's my sound.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Quick question:

If you wanted power tube distortion at less than stadium volumes, then why the fuck did you buy a Twin?

Seriously. It was specifically built to reproduce a clean guitar sound at largish live venues in an era when the PA systems could barely handle the vocals alone. Frankly, they're overkill for about anything nowadays.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

This Twin is modified. They are a good platform for that. Turn it into the amp you want it to be.

It has a Marshal preamp in the normal channel, I've done that to a couple of my amps, it's a nice option. Adding back the master volume adds more versatility. You can get a pentode/triode switch installed to change it to about 30 watts class A. You can add a cut switch for 2 of the power tubes. You can add a line output after the speaker jack for a DI out. Change out the brite switch and treble ceramic caps to silver mica and the top end is sweet.

These options let you work in a small club with a decent tone or you can fill a big room. I like mounting the head in it's own cab. Then bring the speakers of choice to fit the venue, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 or more.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 am

Jim Williams wrote:I like mounting the head in it's own cab. Then bring the speakers of choice to fit the venue, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 or more.
The Dual Showman Reverb is the head version of the Twin Reverb. Exact same circuit, chassis, everything. And a lot cheaper than a TR. I also use it to experiment with speakers.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am

The Quad Reverb and Super Six Reverb are also the same amp, different speakers. I have a Super Six head cut 1/2 into a rack cab. I added channel switching and other stuff, it's a home made circuit board I put insides to do all that stuff.

I used to use a Bandmaster Reverb head back in the 1970's to intentionally destroy small 4" speakers. We would crank it up until sparks happened. Sometimes it was fun to set the cones on fire while blasting through them.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 am

If I ever get back to CA, I wanna hang out with you, Mr. Williams. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Jim Williams wrote:The Quad Reverb and Super Six Reverb are also the same amp, different speakers.
As is the Vibrosonic Reverb

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 am

norton wrote:Power scaling/ B+ voltage dumping is really your best option.

At least from a tone standpoint. Easy little kits out there to be had. They get a bit grainy at extreme settings, but in a much more interesting sounding way than most attenuators do.

I haven't heard the tone king one.... Interesting concept though. I wanna check that one out!
I agree with power scaling, it's pretty common with us Traynor guys and our overly loud amps.