Waffle Grille - waste of energy?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Waffle Grille - waste of energy?

Post by Drone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 pm

I was mic'ing up a cab with a waffle grille today, and I recalled recent debates about whether you should have them off or on for recording, but I got to wondering, there's more grille than there is hole, does this mean that 50% of the energy of the speaker is wasted in reflections?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Take one off, mic both, compare, post results.

8)

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:00 pm

It wasn't so much for recording, though I do wonder if it causes some kind of comb filtering or some such weirdness, though it's a large wavelength versus a relatively small opening.

I was just meaning the volume or SPL produced by an amplifier, is a waffle grille wasting a good part of it, or is air forced through the gaps.

I guess I'm trying to relate my vague memory of high school physics, with the studio.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Re: Waffle Grille - waste of energy?

Post by dfuruta » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Drone wrote:does this mean that 50% of the energy of the speaker is wasted in reflections?
No way, and that's pretty easy to measure (like Bro Shark suggests). I wouldn't worry too much about comb filtering, either, since there's not much going on with most guitar amps above, what, 7k, and low frequencies are going to pass right through...

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

My half-informed opinion would be that it would have to be more rigid to have much effect on the sound. Also, people seem to agree that if you can breathe through a fabric, you can hear through it. Subjectively, I've never felt that they made any sonic difference.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:05 am

Mic it one foot or more back and all those frequencies combine into what we players call 'our sound'. Otherwise you only pick up a partial of the sound.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:04 pm

You know, stupidity being what it is, I just realised that mics tend to have a mesh grille on them too :oops:

I'm thinking at least 6 feet back, as this guitarist uses a 18" ported reflex (the cab in question with the grille) and a couple of olde-style Jamaican scoop horns. I was going to close mic the 18" and distance mic for the subs, but the sound from the 18" is just weird on it's own, I suppose I could use it to brighten the guitar sound if I need it.

I've got a PZM about four feet back, on the floor, and a 58 close mic'ing the cab (yeah my mic collection is this small) just now, but I need to put an XLR on the PZM as I'm not getting enough level using 1/4" into line in on my desk (Soundcraft 500).

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

waffle

Post by supafuzz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 pm

and here I thought you were going to recommend a mod for my waffle grille so I can make golden brown waffles perfect every time...
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3