multiple reverbs on a mix

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am

My set up is a lot like Nick's. I usually set up a room reverb that everything goes to (yes, even the bass) that creates the "space" for the song. A lot of time the projects I mix and record are cut live, with close microphones, usually acoustic. So, that short stereo room reverb pushes everything back. Not everything can sound 6 inches away in a mix!

Then I like to use a plate as a "sweetener" which makes things sound "expensive" Sometimes pre-delay, sometimes not.

For delay, again like Nick I like to use a short delay panned opposite of the instrument. I usually have this set to the tempo of the song. I find this helps glue a song together. Otherwise, everything can sound too disconnected and separate. If you set it to a 1/16th note you can get a nice double which can make a stereo guitar nice and wide and big.

A mono spring reverb can be fun! One plug-in that's fun to use is the Softube Spring Reverb in multi-mono. That way if you have a guitar panned right, you can send it to the left side of the spring. I put an EQ before it. That's a big more rock n' roll.

Effecty stuff, anything goes.

If you need a cheap reverb plug-in that can do a lot, check out the ValhallaDSP stuff. Great, flexible sounds.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:If you need a cheap reverb plug-in that can do a lot, check out the ValhallaDSP stuff. Great, flexible sounds.
Is it wrong that I'm tempted to buy some of this stuff because there are Room presets called "Nostromo", "Sulaco", and "LV-426"?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:33 am

Give in to temptation

Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:54 pm

I have been using mono verbs on lead vocals more as of recent.tucked in with a long plate and a shorter room. I find a blend of this to work well as a good starting point. Some slap in there are well.

I have never really understood the "slamming rooms" thing. For most drum parts I find that unusable. I often leave the room mics relatively open and uncompressed. Maybe a limiter on them to catch transients but not to bring out the tails. It messes with cymbals. This is not to say that I mix very transparent and pristine records. I am often recording gritting and punk oriented rock bands.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:Give in to temptation
Well played. :)