Dirt cheap rack mount outboard gear?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm

What about the Radio Shack reverb/slapback delay thing that has the little faders on it. That thing sounds pretty crazy. I used to have one. I should get another.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 pm

vvv wrote:I can't believe no one's mentioned the black Rat-Shack EQ ... :twisted:
Not exactly dirt cheap anymore, is it

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 pm

getreel wrote:+1 on the Wedge. I still have one and use it for monitoring reverb when tracking mainly. Still, I think it sounds really good and I paid like $75 for it!

I have to agree on the price hype thing too. I bought a Dynamite probably 8 years ago and liked it OK for smashing drums and guitars. I think I paid $150 for it and when I sold it last spring, I got $350 for it on eBay! Crazy! It's just a Dynamite. I think I even like the Symetrix better most of the time and it cost me about the same and my 501 is the newer one and quieter than the Dynamite ever was. Hiss city with the Dynamite and it too was a newer model.

Funny someone mentioned the Orban 424a. I just picked one of those up today when I saw it on consignment at a local music store. Just tried it out and it's quiet and does not smash things to oblivion but has a nice touch of coloration while still being nicely transparent in a way. I've only tested it in a very limited way so far so can't really write an informed review or anything yet. I'm kind of happy for the price I paid which I will not post here :wink: I'm sure I can find some use for it somewhere on guitars or something that needs gentle taming.
Yes!!!!
I paid $75 for a wedge as well.. This is my second one actually... But it and my lxp-1 as well as an effectron or two are used on nearly every mix. They sound better than the regular digi-verbs I have avail on my protools 6.4. I added another cheapo lexicon unit about a year ago as well, I can never remember the model number, and that gets used on occasion as well as a noisy shitty DOD spring reverb and an SPX 90. As effects go...

My two dbx 160x's, symetrix 150, and ART VLA (first version) are regulars while tracking and mixing. The overstayer fet compressor has been on every drum buss while mixing for the last year. Very affordable and great piece, new.

I worked at a buy/sell/trade music store over 10 years ago, before I was running my own place... I wish I took advantage of the used symetrix and Ashly gear we were selling for $60-$80...

My studio is possible due to cheaper quality gear like the above mentioned. I owe people on this board for all the hints and tips over the years. It may not be flashy, but damn, it works, and I've made records that make me proud.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Behringer DEQ 2496 ~~~~ great Swiss knife everything ... lots of I/Os ,,, spatial widener .. COmp/Limiter ..just enough EQ ....

I have one in the rack and one I keep in my travel rack > working at other studios. ....worth the $100+ for the VU meters ('8)')
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am

Trodden, is your VLA the single rack space dual levelar? Cause I have one of those and it is great.

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 am

Brett Siler wrote:What about the Radio Shack reverb/slapback delay thing that has the little faders on it. That thing sounds pretty crazy. I used to have one. I should get another.

Hahaha ... what you did there, I see it!

I have one to ... and it's uhh ... completely not dogsite in any way at all. It's the baddest assed sound destroyer of all time. Everyone should have 10.

now ... to make some money on teh ebayz!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 pm

cale w wrote:Trodden, is your VLA the single rack space dual levelar? Cause I have one of those and it is great.
Nah, its the two rack space PRO VLA with the two VU meters (with both vu bulbs now burned out, of course). I swapped out the stock tubes with some mullards a friend gave me.. not sure of the part# of the tubes but it made the low end info more interesting sounding with the non-stock tooooobs. ART came out with a second version of the VLA a couple years back and I've not had a chance to fool around with that model.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:25 am

plurgid wrote:
Brett Siler wrote:What about the Radio Shack reverb/slapback delay thing that has the little faders on it. That thing sounds pretty crazy. I used to have one. I should get another.

Hahaha ... what you did there, I see it!

I have one to ... and it's uhh ... completely not dogsite in any way at all. It's the baddest assed sound destroyer of all time. Everyone should have 10.

now ... to make some money on teh ebayz!
shhh you are foiling my plan! :lol:

But really they are pretty wild, I lost mine in a move because they are kinda small. They are about the size of two boss pedals.

Here is a video of one. There is also a bunch of videos of the web of people circuit bending them.
http://vimeo.com/14104294

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 am

sure, that's a cool little effect, but if you really want something special you've got to get the silverface version...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am

dfuruta wrote:sure, that's a cool little effect, but if you really want something special you've got to get the silverface version...
Is this a "here we go again" moment? :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:28 am

Brett Siler wrote:
But really they are pretty wild, I lost mine in a move because they are kinda small. They are about the size of two boss pedals.

Here is a video of one. There is also a bunch of videos of the web of people circuit bending them.
http://vimeo.com/14104294
Haha yeah, I like it on drums too. Makes a nasty-assed slapback on kick or snare.

silverface edition? Bwaaahahahaha ...

hunterchristy
pluggin' in mics

Post by hunterchristy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 am

i saw these pop up here once or twice, but seriously, the FMR RNC is the effing dogshite.

i got really lucky, and got 2 in a funk logic rack for $300.

I wouldn't call them my favorite compressor. there are some pieces of kit that just do this thing to sources that give you goosebumps. Personally, i dont find the RNC to be one of those pieces of kit. HOWEVER. i only need other compressor for x,y, or z. Almost every other time, I'm using an RNC.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:

Personally I usually refrain from mentioning stuff until I already own as many of them as I'm ever going to want...
Well, with that in mind I can't believe the Symetrix SX-202 dual mic pre hasn't been mentioned... :wink:

I've got a bunch of pretty nice pres, and those thing hang right in there, especially on acoustic instruments...

And I guess it applies to the Ashley SC-50s too...
Great boxes...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 am

Aphex Expressors
Lexicon Reflex and Alex, MPX 100's
dbx 166
Aphex 612 expander/gate
Adcom GFA 545/555 power amps
Chi-com mics with decent capsules installed
Soundcraft Delta consoles
Belden 9182 LAN cable
Alesis HD24XR

These are a few of my favorite things, all bought at very low cost. They are all "keepers".
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Rob Coates
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Rob Coates » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 am

Shure SE-30. If the caps are good, and a couple channels are disabled to reduce noise, they make a great mic preamp for ribbons as they have lots of gain. The compressor is the same as the infamous Level Lock and is killer on drums. As already mentioned, the MXR Dual Limiter and Alesis HD24XR are also fantastic bargains for what they do.
RobCoates