Dirt cheap rack mount outboard gear?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Dyna-Mite's have gone up in price too. Maybe we shouldn't be sharing our favorite cheapies!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Dyna-Mite's have gone up in price too. Maybe we shouldn't be sharing our favorite cheapies!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 pm

+1 on the Wedge. I still have one and use it for monitoring reverb when tracking mainly. Still, I think it sounds really good and I paid like $75 for it!

I have to agree on the price hype thing too. I bought a Dynamite probably 8 years ago and liked it OK for smashing drums and guitars. I think I paid $150 for it and when I sold it last spring, I got $350 for it on eBay! Crazy! It's just a Dynamite. I think I even like the Symetrix better most of the time and it cost me about the same and my 501 is the newer one and quieter than the Dynamite ever was. Hiss city with the Dynamite and it too was a newer model.

Funny someone mentioned the Orban 424a. I just picked one of those up today when I saw it on consignment at a local music store. Just tried it out and it's quiet and does not smash things to oblivion but has a nice touch of coloration while still being nicely transparent in a way. I've only tested it in a very limited way so far so can't really write an informed review or anything yet. I'm kind of happy for the price I paid which I will not post here :wink: I'm sure I can find some use for it somewhere on guitars or something that needs gentle taming.

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

Post by Marwood Williams » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

+1 on the Symetrix CL150. (I have 2 of them and love what they do to my P-Bass and Kick.

Edited out non-rack stuff (Note to self - read thread title. :D )

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Symetrix 501 & CL-150 are great VCA comps. So is the Ashly SC-50. The original ART PRO VLA is a cool opto comp for the price. The ART dual Levelar a little less so b/c it sounds less hi-fi. More & more cheap outboard hardware is starting to get pricey on the used market (like the 501's @ >$200 used). Maybe it's best not to write about them so much.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27 pm

eh91311 wrote: More & more cheap outboard hardware is starting to get pricey on the used market... Maybe it's best not to write about them so much.
We should develop a code, like, if we say something sounds like dogshite*, we really mean it sounds good; if we say a certain bit of gear is dogshite, it's actually cool; if something costs dogshite, it's actually reasonable, etc.

Or is my suggestion dogshite? :twisted:

* Another word than "dogshite" might be better.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm

vvv wrote:
eh91311 wrote: More & more cheap outboard hardware is starting to get pricey on the used market... Maybe it's best not to write about them so much.
We should develop a code, like, if we say something sounds like dogshite*, we really mean it sounds good; if we say a certain bit of gear is dogshite, it's actually cool; if something costs dogshite, it's actually reasonable, etc.

No, I think you may be on to something. Too many people lurk here and at other music forums, find something similar on their local craigslists then go to eBay or other equivalent crap for-profit sites and jack up the price which never comes down once inflated.

I do think we should try and come up with another 'term'.

If a new member posts a 'what do you think about xxxxxx gear' post, lets push them to UTFSF first. This gear inflation B.S. needs to stop.

GlowSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GlowSounds » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 am

eh91311 wrote:
vvv wrote:

No, I think you may be on to something. Too many people lurk here and at other music forums, find something similar on their local craigslists then go to eBay or other equivalent crap for-profit sites and jack up the price which never comes down once inflated.

If a new member posts a 'what do you think about xxxxxx gear' post, lets push them to UTFSF first. This gear inflation B.S. needs to stop.

I think the price inflation concern is legit (tascam 388, anyone?). But I think the overall sentiment of this thread is going in a weird direction.

As for lurkers. Do you really just want a conversation with other 1000+ plus posters? You all are the question answerers. A forum wouldn't be that interesting without anyone seeking advice or knowledge from those who have more of it.

(And for what it's worth, the SF on this forum is not amazing. It's difficult to really refine searches. i.e. a standard phrase-in-quotes search does not return exact phrase matches. Maybe I haven't figured it out though.)

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 am

You're not going to stop the prices from going up on things that are cool. If they're cool and cheap then they're undervalued. It will correct itself eventually whether you post about it on TOMB or not.

Personally I usually refrain from mentioning stuff until I already own as many of them as I'm ever going to want :) but it's not a hard rule.

builttogrind
audio school

Post by builttogrind » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am

GlowSounds wrote:
eh91311 wrote:
vvv wrote:

I think the price inflation concern is legit (tascam 388, anyone?). But I think the overall sentiment of this thread is going in a weird direction.

As for lurkers. Do you really just want a conversation with other 1000+ plus posters? You all are the question answerers. A forum wouldn't be that interesting without anyone seeking advice or knowledge from those who have more of it.

(And for what it's worth, the SF on this forum is not amazing. It's difficult to really refine searches. i.e. a standard phrase-in-quotes search does not return exact phrase matches. Maybe I haven't figured it out though.)
Agreed.

builttogrind
audio school

Post by builttogrind » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:You're not going to stop the prices from going up on things that are cool. If they're cool and cheap then they're undervalued. It will correct itself eventually whether you post about it on TOMB or not.

Personally I usually refrain from mentioning stuff until I already own as many of them as I'm ever going to want :) but it's not a hard rule.
Another good point. Essentially i was just looking for some assistance on some good cheaper gear that people have experience with.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:You're not going to stop the prices from going up on things that are cool. If they're cool and cheap then they're undervalued. It will correct itself eventually whether you post about it on TOMB or not.

I agree with you about obtaining the gear you prefer before mentioning it in forums.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm

+1 on Ashly SC-50s. I own a pair of blue-faces with toggle power switches that I'll never part with; though now one's intermittent with an absurd-amount of noise one day and then not the next! It appears the blue-face ones have shot up a big amount from when I got mine, but the black-faces are still reasonable. I haven't used one, but most people say it's not all that much of a difference.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:12 pm

I can't believe no one's mentioned the black Rat-Shack EQ ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 pm

I've got a blueface SC-50 that I tried to modify but it was unsuccessful :shock:

So, if you need a new face plate, knobs, power switch, wa evah, I have it.