EQ modification question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

EQ modification question

Post by Mane1234 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 pm

I recently picked up a Sunn Concert Lead head. It powers up and everything seems to work ok except the distortion channel which is kind of a non issue since I use pedals. What does bother me is that it is exceptionally bright even with the treble rolled all the way back. So the question is if I wanted to modify the EQ on this thing is all that's required changing out the pot or will there be some things further downstream in the circuit that need to be changed as well. I wouldn't be doing this on my own, I'm just trying to gather some info in general to see if it's worth pumping some money into. Or I could just resell it and find something more suitable to my needs.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Changing the pot probably won't help, changing some cap and resistor values in the tone stack is what will do it. Or you can cheat and hook up a treble bleed cap somewhere on the back of a pot.

Sunn usually gave nice schemos, check the Sunn Shack or Sunn Museum.

What colors is it?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 am

Thanks for the info. It's mostly black. White power switch and a white panel on the left front where the vol and tone knobs are plus the brite switch. The usual red top knobs. I have a 212 R and it sounds great but it's not really loud enough for the band I play in which is why I got this but the sound is totally different. The 212R is really dark and the distortion is great and I like it being solid state. I'll look for the schematics and see what I can find. It sounds like it wouldn't be hard to do really unless the biggest issue would be getting the right parts.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:03 am

You have the later model it sounds like, the early ones were black and silver.

Parts shouldn't be a problem, you are just monkeying with standard caps.

You could even make a change without opening the amp, try soldering a small cap, say a .001, between hot and ground on the cable you connect to the amp with. Too much high loss, get a smaller cap, not enough, get a bigger cap.

Dunwich Amps make a boost pedal with a 6 position switch, like the FAC control on the old Orange Amps, which is basically this in front of a boost. He might even be willing to make you a passive version.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:04 am

Instrument cable, not power cable, in case there was any doubt :shock: