What microphone should I buy?? Any help please! :)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Apokalypse
audio school

What microphone should I buy?? Any help please! :)

Post by Apokalypse » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey! :lol:

I need info on what microphone to buy because i have no idea !! And i havent found a specific answer on the message board.

I compose my own music mostly hip hop and house and such. I would be recording in my room, for rap and some singing later to be touched up through melodyne.

I can pretty much spend up to 500$ and if its really worth it even 1,000$. I want that really crisp clear sounding recording, no background noise at all just a nice clean vocal recording, where all the pronunciation is very clear.

All in all a professional microphone for recording vocals and getting a really clean crisp recording!

And im guessing the best for recording in the software domain is pro tools and adobe audition?

Thanks everybody! :wink:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. ~ Thomas Jefferson

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Shure SM7b or Beyerdynamic M88.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:42 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Beyerdynamic M88.
yes. really solid for spoken word and hip hop. polar pattern is tight enough to make home recordings sound pretty quiet and dry without too much sound treatment. it'll keep the sibalence at bay too.

or if you want to go with a condesor...I'd recommend a used Audio Techinca 4050. low self-noise, super versitile, and durable.

as far as signal chain...what do you have for a preamp? and outboard compressors?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 am

I'd get an SM7B were I you

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:30 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Shure SM7b or Beyerdynamic M88.
Solid choices

In general I'd stay away from super cheap condenser microphones. If you can find something vintage and well built (old Sony C series mics, Gefell PM-750s, etc) in that range it may be worth it, but if you're talking about something new or newish dynamics are definitely the way to go.

Apokalypse
audio school

Post by Apokalypse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks for all the help guys!

Okk I looked into it more to narrow the search.

The microphone would be a condenser microphone, hyper cardioid, and have a really good off axis rejection.

I dont have a preamp or outboard compressor. But i would get it if i needed it which for a good mic im guessing is mandatory.

And i?ve heard that you cant get really loud with condenser mics?

It seems dynamics can take abuse and arent so sensitive to outside noises (would work good in a room), but condensers pickup all those high detailed frequencies great for vocal clarity and pronunciation (maybe would pickup too much outside noise).

But yeah, all over the internet it seems people are between Shure SM7b dynamic or Audio Techinca 4050/4047 condendser.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. ~ Thomas Jefferson

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Don't trust generalizations. Some condensers are fine with very high volumes?I use LDCs on kick or snare all the time. Some dynamics will crap out with loud noises or break easily. Why hypercardiod? That seems like a strange requirement.

If you don't have a preamp, what will you be plugging the mic into?

No microphone is going to make you sound like magic, especially if you're recording in a mediocre room (no shame in that, I am too) and if you're still figuring out how to use the equipment. Don't waste your money! I suggested an SM7b because you can get one for under $300 used, and it's a totally acceptable sounding mic. If you don't know what you're spending money on, don't buy something expensive. Any of the mics mentioned so far are good enough that the problem will be you, not them.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 am

^^yup^^

also. i'd recomend a large foam windscreen (the sm7 should have one with it) and make or buy a pop filter. rap vox are pretty plosive heavy, and a little extra padding can help keeping sibalence down as well.

as far as a preamp. maybe you are using the preamp on an audio interface. which may be fine...or at least useable. personally I like having a pre for vocals that has a gain and an output trim (or a console is good), then a light touch of compression. a basic shaping EQ doesnt hurt either, but you can use plug in's instead.

you could pick up an affordable channel strip: http://www.sweetwater.com/c665--Channel ... LCI4Il19fQ

the meek 3Q is pretty decent for the price. but any of those listed are pretty usuable. that and a sm7 or a used AT4050 should put you in the ballpark of 500-600. then i'd get some room treatment...and build up sime gear from there.

Dogbreath
audio school graduate

Post by Dogbreath » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 am

I would suggest you give a Sennheiser 441 consideration.
He who angers you, controls you.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Re: What microphone should I buy?? Any help please! :)

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 am

Apokalypse wrote: no background noise at all just a nice clean vocal recording, where all the pronunciation is very clear.
Just so you know, the only way to have no background noise and clear pronounciation are for the room you are recording in to have no background noise in it and for the rapper/singer to pronounce things clearly.

There are no mics that I'm aware of that will magically not hear the air conditioner, the washer/dryer in the next room, or the kids and helicopters outside. You have to turn off the A/C and everything else that makes noise and try to record while school is in session and hope there's no nearby jailbreaks, emergencies, or traffic jams.

Some mics will pick up more or less mouth noises and certain frequencies which can help the listener understand what is being sung/rapped, but only if that enunciation is there in the first place. If the artist is doing their job right, then often time the exact placement of any mic can do more to get the right sound than the choice of mic.

That is all to say: Don't try to find a mic that solves problems that no mic can solve. Trust the other people here in their recommendations (that's why you asked, right?) and realize that after you have a good mic for the job, that's when you actually have to start putting in the work to get the best from the artist and the equipment you have. Someone with experience can get better results with an SM58 than a first-timer with a U87.

In terms of software, again, the operator is more important than the product. That being said, different software appeals to different people and how they see recording, editing, and mixing. If you can demo some software and/or check it out at a store before you buy, then you should feel comfortable buying the software that feels best to you. Don't worry about whether it's famous or what anyone in particular uses. Pro Tools does have a good name and it's a good product, but it's not the only good product out there.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Get the SM58. It's the good stuff.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Bro Shark wrote:Get the SM58. It's the good stuff.
This.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
This.
These guys are right, I withdraw my earlier suggestions. If you're not sure what you're listening for don't spend too much money. SM58's a great mic if you use it right. Extremely rich and famous musicians still use them on vocals. You can get one used for $75, if not cheaper. Then as you begin to realize what it's not great for you can start looking for something to fill that gap.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 pm

You should search which mics Calvin Cordozar B. used on his first recordings.

If you don't know who that is, then you don't know nuttin' 'bout no Hip Hop.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:
This.
These guys are right, I withdraw my earlier suggestions.
I knew this day would come. Oh, the horror.