Best TOM bridge for Bigsby?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Best TOM bridge for Bigsby?

Post by inverseroom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 am

A guitar question for y'all--what's the best tune-o-matic replacement bridge out there for use with a bigsby? Callaham now makes a TOM, and there's the Tone Pros one. My one LP (it's a Tokai Love Rock actually) now has the Graph Tech bridge, which has ended broken strings for me, so I'm inclined to use that for this other guitar as well...but what about roller bridges? Tone Pros makes one. Do you lose something in tone?

Thanks.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: Best TOM bridge for Bigsby?

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 am

inverseroom wrote:A guitar question for y'all--what's the best tune-o-matic replacement bridge out there for use with a bigsby? Callaham now makes a TOM, and there's the Tone Pros one. My one LP (it's a Tokai Love Rock actually) now has the Graph Tech bridge, which has ended broken strings for me, so I'm inclined to use that for this other guitar as well...but what about roller bridges? Tone Pros makes one. Do you lose something in tone?

Thanks.
I've got the Tonepros roller bridge on my big Stonetree. It's works and sounds great.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Best TOM bridge for Bigsby?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 am

inverseroom wrote:A guitar question for y'all--what's the best tune-o-matic replacement bridge out there for use with a bigsby? Callaham now makes a TOM, and there's the Tone Pros one. My one LP (it's a Tokai Love Rock actually) now has the Graph Tech bridge, which has ended broken strings for me, so I'm inclined to use that for this other guitar as well...but what about roller bridges? Tone Pros makes one. Do you lose something in tone?

Thanks.
I've got a Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gent and a Les Paul with Bigsbys. Both have the stock TOM bridge that came with the guitars and everything works fine. Both hold their tune even with me doing my best Neil Young.
Depending on the guitar the Bigsby might also solve any issues with breaking strings. A gentler slope across the bridge means fewer breaks.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 am

^Above is true too.
In addition to my Stonetree w the Tonepros Roller/Bigsby combo I have an LP w regular TOM and a Gretsch SpectraSonics w TOM/Bigsby. TOM can work fine if everything is set up well. Nut Sauce on the contact points can help a lot also.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:45 am

OK, great. Thanks a lot!