iphone recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:30 pm

^^that sucks. I'd contact the seller and see what can be done. I'd also check the Sonoma forums and email their tech help.

Evan73
audio school graduate

Post by Evan73 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Sonoma was great, very quick email responses. Too bad I bought this used.
Looks like the 1/8" inputs busted on the guitar jack and the m-audio "T" mic needs some power.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I used the Tascam IM2 to record a few loud rock shows (bootleg style, in the crowd), and it worked fine. I dont know if it would be something I want to rely on on tour, but it worked fine for casual use. My biggest complaint was I had to get a dock connector extender since my phone is in a protective case (the radtech extender extends all pins - a necessity). This makes the phone seem super long... I was kinda afraid that being that long that it would become unplugged during the recording, but so far no problems. I dont know if the quality is as good as a good dedicated handheld recorder, but I didnt notice any problems. For what I paid, Im happy.

Evan73
audio school graduate

Post by Evan73 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 am

I bought a guitar jack on ebay, and the 1/8" input didn't work. I contacted the seller and they claimed it worked before it was sent. I got in touch with Sonoma Wire works support for help testing the unit. They responded quickly and after emailing about my guitar jack a few times they sent me a brand new guitar jack.

Bro Shark, now that I have this thing attached to my ipod I wish I had bought a stand alone device like you suggested.

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 am

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted here, but happened to see this thread.

A few years ago I completed a project where I challenged myself to write, perform, and record a new song every week for a year - full instrumentation, etc. It was a crazy exercise in quick writing, recording, and mixing. I did most of my tracking on the iPhone using Harmonic Dog's MultiTrack app. I highly recommend it.

Since the time that I did the project, Apple has made changes to the IOS and hardware (I think) that limits a lot of the mics and interfaces that I was using then. The MultiTrack forum is a good place to look for current specs and issues.

For what it's worth, I was very happy with the sounds that I got using the phone, and the process. I called it phone-fi, because it had its own limitations and process flow, but was a different fidelity than gold old fashioned lo-fi. I actually really liked using the phone's mic for tracking my vox, and used it on <80% of the tracks.

If you're interested in hearing the sounds that I got, you can hear some of the tracks from a CD compilation of Project 52 songs that I put together for the grand finale show currently on my Bandcamp site - http://developer.bandcamp.com/

Auria looks super-cool. Nothing like that was around when I was doing my project. I'll probably pop on it when I ramp another project back up. Best of luck with the phone-fi.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun May 26, 2013 8:19 pm

by the way, I finally finished putting together my mobile rig for overdubs.

Here is the set up:
iPhone 4S running Harmonic Dog DAW
Sonoma Wireworks Guitar Jack 2
Alesis Mictube Duo
whatever mics needed for the overdubs.

You can import anything that's on the iPhone into the daw for overdubs or do basic tracks (guitar & vox). The latency is completely workable. Suprisingly the Alesis pre's are pretty quiet and usuable if you don't crank the tube drive. You can record stereo or mono, and you can do several overdubs without any processing issues. The Guitarjack is 24 bit 48k, which is how I run my Pro Tools sessions and you can import the tracks seemlessly. The guitarjack's conversion is top notch, and the unit is super durable. It all fits in a small duffle bag (except the mic stands).

One complaint, I have to open the Guitar Jack app and set up the inputs outside of the DAW. Otherwise, it's a breeze, and about 1/8 of the size and weight of my previous mobile set up.

Evan73
audio school graduate

Post by Evan73 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:27 pm

The Tascam pcm recorder app with the im2 stereo condenser mic on my iPhone worked for almost 4 years, but now with the new apple OS I can't get the files out of the Tascam app (Tascam only offers a SoundCloud share option that I don't use) my iPhone no longer talks to my old MacBook.

Are there any iPhone recording apps that let you email your files directly to yourself?
Then I could have them on my MacBook.