Gain staging and live sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

Post by C_R_J » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

sound guy here. my only advice - advance your shows. figure out what you are walking into before you get there :)

and buy DIs with pads :)
time is money and im wasting both...

GlowSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GlowSounds » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm

C_R_J wrote:advance your shows. figure out what you are walking into before you get there :)
I'm flattered you take me for a rock star :)

Seriously though- thanks for all the advice everyone. I have a much better working knowledge for upcoming shows.

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 pm

I was the head engineer at a medium-sized club for four years. Don't stress about the gain staging. A properly-equipped venue should be able to accommodate whatever you throw at them. Even cheaper consoles like A&H have pads on them, as does every DI box I've used for sound reinforcement, even the $40 ones. I have mixed several bands that combine acoustic drums and electronic drums, and there has never been a gain issue/

Of course it's always best to be prepared for any variables, but really it's the venues job to take care of that end of the situation. As long as you aren't coming into a show with some obscure connector type, you should be fine. And I'm sure that as you play more and more shows, it will become evident what you need to account for.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:01 am

>>>>Of course it's always best to be prepared for any variables, but really it's the venues job to take care of that end of the situation.<<<<

What would be the longest and largest possible "LOL" anyone has ever responded with in this or any forum?

Imagine that's what I posted...

GJ