OktavaMod MJE-K47H Capsule Head

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

OktavaMod MJE-K47H Capsule Head

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 am

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_in ... cts_id=201

Is anyone here on the TOMB is using this LDC head with an Oktava MK-012 body? Opinions?

I have a pair of OktavaMod MK-012s which I LOVE (for the record they sound super close to my vintage KM84). I also have had a vintage Microtech-Gefell UM70s that has been on loan to me for several years which I am unfortunately going to need to part with sooner than later. I adore the UM70s; I always reach for both it and an SM7b for most vocals, and it sounds awesome on stringed instruments as well. Just a great mic. But at $1500, I cannot justify picking it up. I'm mostly recording myself or my bands these days, or guitars/bass/keys, so a $1500 "vocal" mic is simply not in my budget.

$399 is attainable; I have a bunch of gear that is going to get sold after SXSW, and I can definitely swing it after that. Curious about the word on the street as compared to other vocal-forward LDCs.

Thanks!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm

check out the Oktavamod Facebook page. Michael has answered a lot of questions on there about general tone and posted some comparisons as well.

I have a pair of the newer gefell umt70s'...and I think the tone is bit more in the category...probably a little less transformer coloration, but unhyped and smooth with great bass extension. similar headbasket design, but less mesh...also transformerless, fet circuit.

that being said, I haven't had a chance to audition a pair...but really want to soon!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Kinda a leg over, but I have a pair of the RED LDC caps for MC-012 that they sold for a short period a few years ago. They sound pretty damn good actually. Only problem is that our MC-012 are basically just antennas in our new room. They're really the only ones causing a problem, so I just need to sort it out, but who has the time?

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm

I got one a while back, but haven't been recording much lately. Hope that changes soon.

Here's a quick test in my untreated room. Set the mic up about neck high. I was somewhere around 18" away. Playing a Collings MT2 mandola and singing (if you want to call it that). I was just testing the cap to make sure it worked, and trying to work up a new song at the same time.

http://www.dongrieser.net/files/LazyJohn.mp3

Recording chain: PE OktavaMod 012 body, MJE K47 cap, Apogee Duet (firewire), Logic Express 8 at 24/44.1. No EQ, effects etc., just the raw track.

My take on it: It sounds like my voice and my mandola. Nothing exaggerated. Picked up the transients nicely.

This cap is HEAVY--no cheap thin metal here: built like a tank. Fits very snugly over the 012 body. Seems like a quality piece of kit. I think I'm going to be using it a lot.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 am

I had the Redhead caps a few years ago. I felt that they were ok. I was never using them because I was always reaching for my pair of AT4050s, my AT4047sv, or my 414 B/ULS first, and the MG UM70s was always the vocal mic. So those Red caps, well...they felt redundant.

Thanks for posting that "Lazy John" MP3! Sounds good. I'll check out all of the audio examples on MJ's site tonight or once I am home and settled from SXSW next week.

I'm considering shaking up my mic locker a little bit this year and next. Selling the 414 B/ULS for another AT4047sv, modifying my Nady ribbons with Lundahl transformers and new ribbons, maybe building a pair of Austin ribbon mics, grabbing another 421, seeking out some crazy lo-fi crystal mics, and then again, finding a really nice vocal mic to replace the UM70s (something that won't break the bank, hence the OktavaMod cap).

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord