1176 Pre Made Clones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

1176 Pre Made Clones

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:34 am

I'm looking for an 1176 but I'm not too crazy about the new reissues. That's led me to start looking at clones and kits. I don't know if I have the time/patience/energy to build my own but some of the pre-made clones look pretty promising. My only hesitation is that they're all made by small operations and I haven't had much luck tracking down reviews or customer comments.

Does any one have any experience with the Revive Audio M76 - http://www.reviveaudio.com/m76.html

Or this guy? He's offering builds on the Hairball Audio kits - https://sites.google.com/site/scakitbui ... compressor

How about Mohog?
http://mohogaudio.com/products.html

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

I made one of the hairball units. It's great. I built the Rev F in the blue stripe chassis just cause I liked the look of it better. :-)

There was a review in one of the past TapeOps too (by GH I think?). Dont try it if its your first DIY project, but if you know your way around then its pretty straightforward and there is decent documentation online.

Another option might be something in the 500 series - I think the Purple Audio Action are supposed to be 1176'ish? but I've never tried one myself (cause I have the HB76).

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm

.02; but did you hear the purple one? it's freakin' gorgeous and with great customer service and warranty.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 pm

I have been looking at the Purple MC77 but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment. I'm in a commercial space for the first time in my career and I have a baby on the way. Overhead + impending dad-hood means I'm looking for the greatest bang for the most reasonable buck.
I was on the fence about building my own but I'm starting to lean towards the Hairball Rev A kit. digitaldrummer, how tricky was the build? I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and can read a schematic but I have to admit that most of the theory and math behind electronics is over my head.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm

FWIW, I have a Gyraf 1176 rev. D clone that TO's djimbe made, and it's sweet.

If I recall, he said the parts were somewhere in the US$400 zone, altho' I think he sourced them himself.

But google it if yer interested. When I did I found tons of stuff, such as this ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Yep. I've seen that and most other sources easily found on the web at this point.
I like the idea of the Hairball kit mostly because it's historically accurate and the face plate and box come pre-cut and labelled. It sounds silly but the metal work and labelling is where most of my DIY efforts fall short. At the end of the day I'd like something that sounds good and looks legit.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 pm

I am in a similar boat...working toward getting my garage built out for a little studio...first kid is now 14 months. so I get it that every dollar for gear has to be spent wisely.

from my research...hairball is the best I've seen for the price...I was considering it, but the schematics are still a bit too advanced for me.

if you don't have time to build or want something custom try contacting Nate Dort on here or visit his page: http://www.natedort.com/
he has answered several of my gear questions regarding repairs and and builds lots or rad stuff.

just a thought.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 pm

if you decide to tackle it and run into problems, i'm sure you could post here on the diy board or over at groupdiy and get some answers.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 am

there is lots of info on the Hairball (or mnats pcb boards) on Prodigy Pro too.

I think if you are careful and go slowly and double and triple check your every move, then its not that bad. Mine powered up and worked the first time. Hairball shares a Mouser cart (BOM) that you can order all the small parts - I did notice that it was missing a couple parts, had a couple extra parts, and I had to make a couple substitutions for parts that were out of stock or no longer available. but that was over a year ago and I'm sure things have changed again - but I think HB was updating that cart as well.

Then I followed the wiring instructions -- http://mnats.net/1176_reva-d_hairball_wiring_power.html (which look even better now) and the calibration instructions - if I recall you need a frequency generator and a DVM for that part. not something everyone has...

I probably need to re-calibrate mine again as I noticed the meter is a bit off - but then it seems like it moves around depending on whether it is warm or cold. I usually try to listen to whats coming through it vs. looking at the meter too much anyway... :D

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54 pm

This is as close to a "new" vintage 1176 as you are going to get:

http://www.kenetek.com/1176/kenetek1176 ... fault.aspx
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Sean Sullivan wrote:This is as close to a "new" vintage 1176 as you are going to get:

http://www.kenetek.com/1176/kenetek1176 ... fault.aspx
those look nice! I dig the single rack spake revision. would love to test them out vs the original at my pals studio.

James Anderson
audio school graduate

Re: 1176 Pre Made Clones

Post by James Anderson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Dave - do the hairball! you'll have two of those kits running within the week.

I went with the UA reissue because I needed it right away and I could get them financed. If i had the time and money i would have went with the hairball kit. In the end the reissue is fine with me.

A.David.MacKinnon

Re: 1176 Pre Made Clones

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 pm

James Anderson wrote:Dave - do the hairball! you'll have two of those kits running within the week.

I went with the UA reissue because I needed it right away and I could get them financed. If i had the time and money i would have went with the hairball kit. In the end the reissue is fine with me.
Thanks James!

James Anderson
audio school graduate

Post by James Anderson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Just a note from experience though to contradict myself - If having outside engineers in is important they usually dismiss anything clone, diy or homebrew. I don't fault them for this because I've been burned by bad racking of old gear and bad diy clones. I'd trust your work in an instant. just sayin'.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Outside engineers are almost never an issue. Besides, if they're that fussy they can bring their own rack.