Replacing my rode nt2 OR buy a microphone-parts capsule?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Replacing my rode nt2 OR buy a microphone-parts capsule?

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:57 am

So, the capsule on my NT2 went kaput a while back, so ive got to replace it. Its been my main vocal mics for the past couple years now. Solid as a rock.. Sometimes a room mics for drums.

With it down, its definitely hindering my vocal tracks.

really my question is, i know theres a few threads about the microphone-parts capsules. alot of people like that rk-47 capsule. a few like them in the nt2, but after using them for a while how do they hold up?

are they rugged enough to be in a day in, day out type environment? or are they somewhat fragile? i dont have a vocal booth, so i will be setting up, and breaking it down constantly.

and after the initial listening, how do your ears still like them after a few months? do they still sound as good to you as it did the first time? is it good on alot of different voices? drums? what if i want to mic a guitar? can it handle the spls of a pretty hot guitar amp, or some kid screaming in to it?

or should i just go out, and buy an at4040? or something similar in the 200-500 dollar price range? and if so, what should i buy?

the price point of the rk-47 capsule is great, and im confident in my diy skills i can drop one in.

or for a workhorse LDC like that, should i just buy something new?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 am

Hi,

Part of your budget needs to got towards maintenance and repair of your equipment.

And,

If you liked the mic as it was before, then you should repair it to original spec.

And,

If you are looking for a "different" sounding microphone, then buy a different microphone. Microphones have three main components which determine their sound the most. The body shape, the electronics, and the capsule.

Cheers
Last edited by Nick Sevilla on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Totally agree with Nick Sevilla. If you liked how it sounded, get it fixed.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:35 pm

dfuruta wrote:Totally agree with Nick Sevilla. If you liked how it sounded, get it fixed.
I have to agree...or buy a used one. they can be had for a good price.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm gonna take a different, devil's advocate approach in my response.

You know the NT2, you like it, you can always repair it, later.

(BTW, SOS says the mic has the K67-type capsule; M. Joly explains the difference, here.)

I reco go for something different. Mebbe not a right turn, like a SM7b, but something somewhat similar, the AT4040 you mention, mebbe a Shure KSM27, or a CAD M179, or even a Blue Spark (FWIW, all of what I like) for immediate replacement.

Even cheaper, the ADK A51V is great every time I use it on vox.

Then, a little later, fix yer NT2.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 am

Those designs used an early version of the 32 mm k-67 capsule design. The Microphone Parts k-67 or k-87 is the best replacement choice to retain the original sonics.

Those are accurate 34 mm designs, like Neumann. In mine I replaced the 470 pf roll-off caps with 5600 pf, that smooths out the tops. There are also a couple other changes that improve the mic. I lifted up one end of the original ferrite beads on the outputs and added 56.2 ohm series resistors. That solves loading and rf pickup problems.

Other fixes are re-setting the polarization voltage to +62 volts and re-wiring the capsule/front end so the back plate is polarized. That removed the input 1000 pf blocking cap. The sonics really open up if that cap is removed.

If you use a k-47, the entire sound will change with bumps at 3~5k hz added. Not a bad sound, but not what you are used to.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

georgeludwig
audio school graduate

Post by georgeludwig » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 am

OP, a few years ago my NT2 died on me. I sent it back to them, and they fixed it, and charged me nothing. Not even return shipping. If I recall, they turned it around pretty rapidly as well.

Just sayin', they seem like a stand-up company. Send it in now for repair, worry about other mics along the way.
follow me on Twitter: @georgeludwig

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:25 pm

I messaged Rode through their website a couple weeks ago, and have yet to get a reply about repairs on the mic. im pretty much under the impression they aren't going to help...

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 pm

FRIZEYED wrote:I messaged Rode through their website a couple weeks ago, and have yet to get a reply about repairs on the mic. im pretty much under the impression they aren't going to help...
I've contacted RODE support a couple of times, they've been great. Free fixes (replacement shockmount for my NT1A, exchanged my NT4 for a working one, both items bought used). Try contacting them through their webpage again for a repair of your NT2.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

R?de support

Post by alexdingley » Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 am

I'll second the vote for support.

I bought a used original Nt2 (looks like u87) from a friend. He smoked in his home studio, and I noticed some grime on the head basket. Also, speckles on the diaphragm. I paid very little for the mic, so I wasn't too worried. I'd read about gentle cleaning methods for mic capsules, so I tried it... and I think I ruined it. I put capsule back in the mic and there was this weird noise that kept happening. I called R?de, explaining my dumb-assery, expecting to find out how much a "new" capsule assembly would cost. (also expecting to have to walk away from this mic, as it was probably a lost cause).

I called this # 866 841 1457 (think it's a service dept. in Los Angeles). The guy was a bit dry to talk to, but explained that the mic had a 10yr warranty, and told me to pack it up and send it in. He explained that it would take him several weeks, if not a few months, to find a suitable replacement capsule... and he didn't want to hear constant "checking-in" calls from me during the process...

... The mic was back to me with a newly replaced capsule within 3-4 weeks... no phone call to tell me "it's done"... no fanfare... just a box showed up with my mic in it. All better.

So, in short... They're not cuddly over there at R?de's Service dept. (in the US)... but they rock.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue May 21, 2013 6:39 am

Yep, replacing a capsule is a more delicate job than just slapping a new one in and soldering it in place. You're probably better off letting RODE repair it and saving money to buy a second microphone so you've got options.