ADAT clocking/syncing issues

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dark star Balla
alignin' 24-trk

ADAT clocking/syncing issues

Post by Dark star Balla » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm fighting several battles. I'm just looking for input on any of the issues that I'm currently dealing with.

I'm getting nothing but crackling. My relevant gear connection to give a bit of clarification...
Ramsa DA7, Tascam FW-1884, Behringer ADA8000 also a separate set up is Motu 828mk2, RME ADI-8pro & Roland MV8800.

1884 Firewire > PC
1884 Analog ins/outs > DA7 ad/da card slot 1
1884 ADAT in/out > DA7 ADAT card slot 2
Behringer ADA8000 in/out > DA7 ADAT card slot 3

My BNC configuration
Behringer ADA8000 BNC in > DA7 thru... DA7 in > FW-1884 out

My other connection I'm struggling with is...

Roland MV8800 ADAT out > RME ADI-8pro ADAT main in RME ADAT out main > Motu 828mk2 ADAT in/out

With this set up when ever start the pattern on the MV8800 I can hear the rhythm of the pattern thru my ADAT channel assigned but it's purely static. I removed the RME to simplify the set up and get it working before bringing the RME back into the mix. I just want something functioning then I'll add a piece as I get configurations working. I bought a Art SyncGen wordclock but will not incorporate it until... I hope ths all makes sense.

Posting some images of the DA7 screen

[img:left]http://instagram.com/p/W-hKNUjEOp/[/img] [img:center]http://instagram.com/p/W-g7CPDEOZ/[/img]

[img:right]http://instagram.com/p/W-gmoFDEN2/[/img]

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi,

"One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them."
J.R.R. Tolkien.

In this case, you need to make one device the word clock Master.

First set of gear:

Tascam 1884, DA& mixer, and Behringer ADA8000.

This is your problem: "My BNC configuration
Behringer ADA8000 BNC in > DA7 thru... DA7 in > FW-1884 out "

Make the DA7 the Master. As it is in fact the "hub" where the digital signals arrive for monitoring.

Both the Behringer and the Tascam can accept word clock from the ADAT lightpipe feed, so you do not need that BNC word clock cable at all. Get rid of it.

As to your second setup, I am totally confused. Do you have only one computer which has which interface, the RME, or the Motu? Why do you have two audio interfaces in this chain? You state you got rid of the RME, good. Or bad, if the Motu is not set up properly. Without knowing more details as to how each computer is set up as wordclock master / slave, and how each device's actual internal set up is, I cannot possibly help any further than this.

Again, use only the ADAT connections for wordclock, and only make one device the master.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:52 pm

I didn't read very carefully, but I noticed you mentioned DA7 and Motu? I tried for many days to get my Motu 2408MkII to slave off the DA7 a couple years ago. Eventually things worked fine when I slaved the DA7 off the Motu using a bnc cable. I didn't like the workflow ramifications of having to boot up the computer to turn on the mixer though. I've got a different setup now and I'm going to try again to slave the Motu off the DA7, but I'm worried that it just doesn't work, theory and Word Clock Jack labels aside.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Dark star Balla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dark star Balla » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. I need all the assistance I can get.

@Nick
So you feel the problem may be that I'm attempting to make the 1884 the Master and not the DA7? I will try that tonight. I assumed I should make the 1884 the master because it directly communicates * I can control it with the computer & recording software? That was just my thinking but I will try every way suggested that's is possible until I get it working properly.

As to my second setup...
The RME ADI-8pro is not an interface it's an ADDA converter. it offers 16 Analog ins 16 ADAT ins same with outs. this side is just for my out boards gear sythns Samplers ect....

@Snarl

Yeah I do not use the Motu & DA7 together. I Use the DA7 with the tascam 1884 & ADA8k & the motu 828mk2 with the RME & MV8800

My intent is to run the MV8800 ADAT out > RME ADi-8 ADAT in & maybe 828 back out to MV88 in because it has 8 audio channels

I do have an Art SyncGen but I disconnected it because it it didn't take right away.