Tascam 388 question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bambotronic
audio school

Tascam 388 question

Post by bambotronic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:05 am

Hi there. I recently fired up my old 388. I am pretty well versed in using it, and everything seems to be working great, except when I record, it seems like track 1 is the only one that is actually recording. When I set it up, every track's VU meter is working, I can hear it fine through them, and it appears to be working, but when I play back, there is only stuff recorded on track one. I replaced all the fuses except the 1st one (a 4-amp instead of 3-amp like the others), and that fixed some other problems...could it be I just need a 4 amp fuse? seems like a strange fix to me. Thanks!
Thanks!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't mean this in a negative way, but if you can outline your exact process for your procedure STEP BY STEP we will be better able to help determine your problem.

A lot of people come on here asking on the forum about 388 problems like this without this info and it gets nowhere.

You're right, changing fuses doesn't seem like it would affect this problem.

With all that said, I would be sure to arm all tracks, and plug a microphone into input one and record the same signal to all tracks, and work from there.

bambotronic
audio school

Post by bambotronic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 am

Hi thanks for reply. I record-armed all the tracks and recorded, and once again only track 1 is actually recording. I bought a 4-amp fuse, so now I am certain all fuses are good. My exact recording process is:

plug in mic to track one
set all tracks to "Mic"
Assign all tracks to all numbers, and LR
Rec arm all tracks
record
set all tracks to RMX
unrec arm all tracks
listen back

Only track 1 has recorded. While recording, all VU meters were working in synch. Very odd.

Thanks!
Thanks!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

bambotronic wrote: set all tracks to "Mic"
I don't know if this is your issue, but the only track that should be set to mic is 1.

bambotronic
audio school

Post by bambotronic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:26 am

That's not it...I tried it both/all ways...
Thanks!

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:16 pm

L/R should only be engaged during playback, not during record. make sure all four bus buttons are engaged. all right side track arming buttons engaged. pan knob centered. pgm faders up. make sure all tracks are set to rmx on playback. disarm tracks 1-8. engage l/r buttons for each track for playback.