Classic Bass Guitar Sounds

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Regarding all this about muted vs ringing and so on (note length): to quote my college conductor, "mit Geschmeckt" (to be said with a Talmudic shrug).
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Here's a link to the equipment used by Shellac (Steve mostly home made) Not sure how accurate it is now. I haven't seen those guys in probably 5 years or so.
http://editthis.info/geartome/Shellac
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Stumbled onto this thread as I've been looking into Bill Wyman's 60's tones.

My favorite being Beggar's Banquet, "Parachute Woman", "Stray Cat"...but really his entire 60's output. I found out that he insists to this day, on using 18" speakers in his cabinets. Even when the Stones recorded at RCA in the States, while the others used Fenders, he still used his Vox Foundation.

I realize that the frequency range was more limited on those recordings, but I'm wondering if there was still a difference using those 18" speakers. Most of the British Invasion guys were using those Vox amps (McCartney, Chandler).

Anyone have experience recording 18" speakers, or getting similar tones to those of Wyman?
If that cat there doesn't stop it man, we're not playing anymore!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Zacharia Matilda wrote:Ampeg Gemini is a great combo for basses. I have used the 1x12, but I bet the 1x15 sounds great too.
True story. One of my best friends is a really sick bassist and he uses a Gemini II (1x15). We recorded his band's record with mine (before he bought his) and it came out great. The only caveat was that the volume had to be kept a lot lower than I'm used to. Doesn't take much before they start to blow out. I was planning on selling mine until we figured out how good it is on bass. He plays a Guild bass from the early 70s that has THAT sound on it's own too. It's great.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:20 am

biasvoltage wrote:A lot of the really inventive Motown electric bass stuff that is commonly thought to be Jamerson is actually Bob Babbitt.
Wow. I just assumed all this time it was Jamerson on I Want You Back and ABC, but Wikipedia says it was Wilton Felder! My whole life is a lie!

Oooohhh... it's also Felder on Root Down. Now it all makes sense.