002r chained to Apollo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earth tones
steve albini likes it

002r chained to Apollo

Post by earth tones » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 am

Can anybody confirm, from experience, that the Digidesign 002r cannot be used as additional converters/preamps by being linked to another interface (like the UA APollo) via Lightpipe? The Apollo would be the device interfacing with Pro Tools. Will the 002r only function when its being used as the primary interface with Pro Tools?

Is anybody else in this situation:

I own a 002r and added the BLA Signature Series mod back when only PT hardware could be used with PT software. Time passes, technology advances, Digidesign opened it's heart to third-party interfaces and now the point has been reached where PT 11 will no longer support the 002r. I really want to use the Universal Audio plug-ins, so my dilemma is do I jump ship from the BLA002r for the Apollo OR get another year or two (?) out of the BLA002r and PT10 and get a UAD PCI processing card. The Apollo is appealing because of it's future lifespan, zero latency tracking, thunderbolt i/o and the front-end sounds good.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:56 am

I'd just get the Apollo, and ditch the 002r asap.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 am

Agree...

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:40 am

Bro Shark wrote:Agree...
+1

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 am

I would move toward another unit as suggested. now if you want to keep the 002r for additional ad and da conversion for more that 8 in/out at a time, I don't know why you couldn't use it on the Adat. it works that way with other devices. I've slaved a 002r off my 003r before via Adat.

I mean, if you arent using it as the main interface via FireWire how would PT even know what you are using? it just shows up as optical 1-8. Then you just make sure the clock is set to internal an the 002r should slave to the Apollo.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am

ott0bot wrote:I would move toward another unit as suggested. now if you want to keep the 002r for additional ad and da conversion for more that 8 in/out at a time, I don't know why you couldn't use it on the Adat. it works that way with other devices. I've slaved a 002r off my 003r before via Adat.

I mean, if you arent using it as the main interface via FireWire how would PT even know what you are using? it just shows up as optical 1-8. Then you just make sure the clock is set to internal an the 002r should slave to the Apollo.
That was precisely the impetus behind my initial post. I'd love to pick up an Apollo and use the BLA 002r as an additional 8 inputs to the Apollo over ADAT. However, I have read varied opinions about whether this was feasible. Many people have stated that only the 002 console (not the 002r or 003r) can operate in a "standalone" mode, which allows it to be chained as a secondary device to another primary interface.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 pm

^^i don't think that's true^^

I'm pretty sure you can utilize the 003r and 002r via Adat to any other Adat enabled device.

Can you borrow another FireWire interface with Adat, and run an experiment?

set the clock to internal and and see if the 002r will slave off the other device. you just need to trash your preferences, and update the I/O settings. the 002r should show up as optical 1-8.

if the doesn't work...I guess those darn people are right. but, I can swear I have ram an 002r slaved off an 003r. maybe I'm nuts.