Neve Sidecar vs. Standalone Preamps (Chandler, BAE)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mikoo69
gimme a little kick & snare

Neve Sidecar vs. Standalone Preamps (Chandler, BAE)

Post by mikoo69 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 am

How do the preamps in a Neve 5432 sidecar compare to the Chandler line, or BAE?

Currently looking into the LTD-1 and TG-2, and the BAE 1073MPF and trying to get an idea of what they'd sound like next to my 5432.

My main application is electric guitar recordings (lots of overdriven, distorted and fuzz sounds) and the TG-2 looks really cool for that, being that I usually blend 2 mics to one track.

Second most important application would be vocals, which I hear the LTD-1 is great for (or the TG-2 into the LTD-1 EQ section).

Electric bass guitar would be the third most important application (Mic + DI or 2 mics blended).

Some minimally miked drums, piano, and other instruments occasionally...

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm

How do the preamps in a Neve 5432 sidecar compare to the Chandler line, or BAE?
Totally different worlds.

The BAE, Chandler etc preamps are discrete transistors biased for class-A operation.

The Neve 5400 uses chip opamps.

Totally diffferent foundations, thus different sounds. Not that one is superior to the other, or that either is unusable, just different.

Given the way the market is working, I'd imagine that you'll pay a premium for the Neve.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeah, the 54 series stuff doesn't sound much like the earlier, discrete class A stuff, but they're awesome little desks. If you're thinking that it would be useful for adding some outboard gear to your workflow as well as mixing I highly recommend it (assuming the price is right). If you're more worried about size/mobility I would just sick with a rack.

mikoo69

Post by mikoo69 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for the input. I love the Neve 54, though since I've never heard a TG-2 or LTD-1, I wasn't sure if they were superior quality/sounding preamps.

Basically, the goal for my project studio is to function as a high quality electric guitar/vocal studio....and have the option for bass, piano and some other overdubs. Have some projects I am doing where I will buy studio time for drums, and possibly bass, but do the electric guitars and vocals at home and want the best sounding rig for my money.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:05 pm

I have two Chandler Germs, and two LTD2 compressors. The Germanium is a fantastic preamp for electric guitars. They sound great. You can buy them one at a time.

I've only worked on a Neve two times in my life, so take that for what it's worth.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:21 pm

i have the tg2 and the germanium for chandler gear and vintech 1272 and great river 1mv for neve style...

i love em all but the germaniums are really amazing and super versatile.
the new rules : there are no rules

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 am

the last thing i would call a germ preamp is versatile

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:08 am

The 54 series Neve preamps are very much like the ones in 51 series consoles. A Belclere TF 14 or 15 transformer feeding a 5534 opamp. If you find one that has been kept well and serviced competently, doubt that you can do better in that size/form factor. Not Cheap. Anywhere from 7500 to 10k dollars. Look for the most channels, I have seen 16/4s pop up from time to time. 8 to 12 with 2 aux per channel seems like the most common format though. Look for direct outs. That will add to the final price.
Good Luck........

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Shane OConnor wrote:the last thing i would call a germ preamp is versatile
let's fight.

just kidding.

too each his own.

i find that the interactivity of the garn and feedback plus pad and thick switch
give me a nice range of tone shaping that other pres i have just don't do.

i love it.

i also love the UA solo 610. i LOOOOVE them. so creamy.

great river is also really sweet.

vintech 1272 is a sleeper and really thick. chunktastic.
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Shane OConnor wrote:the last thing i would call a germ preamp is versatile
With the thick button out and the feeback knob rolled off it can be fairly clean.
At lower gain levels it doesn't have to sound all 'Germy', of course we probably buy it to use when you want it to do its thing.

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Post by tubemonkey35 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:43 am

Why not build a sidecar of Chandler Limited Little Devils? Neve qualities there...

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: Neve Sidecar vs. Standalone Preamps (Chandler, BAE)

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:59 pm

mikoo69 wrote:Currently looking into the LTD-1 and TG-2, and the BAE 1073MPF and trying to get an idea of what they'd sound like next to my 5432.
Just to clarify - it sounds like you already have the 5432, yes mikoo?

mikoo69

Post by mikoo69 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 am

yes I have the Neve already,

Ended up acquiring a Germ and a TG-2 in addition to the Neve and I'm loving the options I am getting using all of them in conjunction.

Recording electric guitar, the Neve is giving me a very "vintage" sound, which the Chandlers can't reproduce..a sound I personally love. The TG-2 gives me great depth, low end and a really thick palette of sound. Not overhyped, just all around solid. The Germ is really special and gives me the most upfront, modern sound of the 4 preamps, which can cut through a mix incredibly well. Having all 4 options for different parts of songs is really giving me everything I could want from electric guitar recording...Also, the DI on the Germ sounds so amazing for Bass, though I really like the TG-2 DI as well for this application. The TG-2 DI has a clearer, rounder sound, while the germ is really punchy and exciting. Loving all these options.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:03 pm

I've never used the TG2, but my drummer has eight TG1s with the EQ, which are absolutely fantastic on drums. I find the EQ section is critical to getting the total sound I want, rather than just the sound of the straight pre. Vintage is not what I'd call the sound, I think it can be very modern and punchy, but thick.