Tripp Lite LCR2400 Audibly LOUD

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Tripp Lite LCR2400 Audibly LOUD

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:01 pm

I have no idear how practical my approach is for you, but I use UPS (battery) units - I think they are 500 watts.

I never have more than 10 or 12 things on at a time - ex., 2 pre's, 2 compressors, headphone amp, monitor amp, a lap top, a desk top and monitor, mebbe a small LCD TV and a cuppla lights running off two UPS plugged into one double wall socket. I'll note that I often use a different socket in the same room to power an amp and one-spot and a lavalamp.

I use rackmount power strips with minimal circuitry to distribute from the UPS, and the noise floor is inaudible.

-- Oh, and I'm posting at the top of the page. Again. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 am

I'm going to disagree strenuously with the above posts.
Tripplite has been making power products for decades. They are a solid, no snake oil company. I would not put them in the same category as Monster and other companies that primarily rely on marketing flim flam, not engineering.
I've installed dozens of their rack power conditioners in server rooms for clients.
None of those server rooms has anything from Monster or Furman. APC is the only other solution that exists.
The LCR2400 is a great product, but due to the technology it has limitations.
All power transformers hum. The larger the power transformer the greater the capacity for hum.
The LCR2400 has a huge transformer bolted directly to the chassis. So if it's humming you are going to hear it.
The amount of hum is going to vary depending on how dirty your power is.
When I've used mine to run my gear off of a generator, it was audibly loud. Even outside!
Here in NYC the power is not so bad. About the same as it was in the Bay Area. However when we get winter storms and the power sags I get a lot more noise on some taps of the autoformer.
I would also point out that a $50 rack mount power strip is not the same feature set as a $500 autoformer.
The power strip is probably just an over current circuit breaker. Maybe there is an MOV or thyristor. But likely not.
The autoformer has circuit breaker, MOV/thyristor suppression and target voltage conforming.
Honestly UPS have come down quite a lot in price in the last 10 years. I'd look into one of these as they take your wall voltage and resynthesize it to a stable voltage. Look for the ones with sinewave output. This has less noisy harmonics than the cheaper models.
I have 2 of them for my home studio set up giving me 20A of clean stable power. (it's way cheaper to get two 10A models than one 20A model!)

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:12 am

Calaverasgrande wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 am
Honestly UPS have come down quite a lot in price in the last 10 years.
What do you recommend for a good sine wave UPS? Thanks!

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 am

I got a good deal on a couple Cyberpower kind of like this.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... t_lcd.html
The better ones are the 2RU rack versions which run about $450 each but are absolute tanks. And weigh as much as tanks.
This is what I was going to buy before I got a deal on some 'extra' UPS through a project I worked on.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... d_ups.html
I'd watch the ads at your local Microtech or Frys or whatever is the equivalent. Those kind of tech nerd places often get bulk deals on UPS.
Just make sure its sinewave output and don't mess with anything under 900 watts.
I used to run my Mac Pro off of a slightly underpowered 450w UPS (got it for free). It would be fine in normal use, like recording and stuff.
But if I fired up Premiere or played the rare video game it would start beeping frantically. You really don't want to be at the design limits on this type of stuff. That goes for the LCR2400 too. It's rated for 20 amps, but you're better off not getting past 15 amps or so on those.