will a headphone extension cause a delay?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Taking it back a few decades: Remember those silly headphones we had in grade school with the AIR FILLED cords? They had a speaker in the central box, and distributed the Audio to the individual headphones via analog sound pressure waves through the air hose ("cord"). The headphones didn't even have any transducers in them! So in the case of those, lengthening the "cable" would also increase latency in line with the speed of sound (not the speed of light).

Just thinking back to those innocent days :) Innocence is long since gone!!!

Agreed for the OP - You will be hard pressed to find any forum better than TOMB that is as willing to help and give worthwhile input from the trenches. Have you been to Gearslutz yet? :lol:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

this is a bit of a snarky forum :D . welcome to the board, & hope you'll stick around!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Randyman... wrote:Remember those silly headphones we had in grade school with the AIR FILLED cords? They had a speaker in the central box, and distributed the Audio to the individual headphones via analog sound pressure waves through the air hose ("cord").
Do you know what these were called? I guess I'm too much of a young'un to have experienced these, but I'm intrigued.

Got a ready-made talkbox, there...

GlowSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GlowSounds » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Randyman... wrote:Taking it back a few decades: Remember those silly headphones we had in grade school with the AIR FILLED cords? They had a speaker in the central box, and distributed the Audio to the individual headphones via analog sound pressure waves through the air hose ("cord"). The headphones didn't even have any transducers in them! So in the case of those, lengthening the "cable" would also increase latency in line with the speed of sound (not the speed of light).:
Oh ya- they used to have those on airplanes too.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm

It's what they still use when you're getting an MRI cuz you cant have any metal in there.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I can't wait to see a pair of those things on the L train now.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:It's what they still use when you're getting an MRI cuz you cant have any metal in there.
Are ya sure those aren't just wired with Monster Cable? :twisted:

(Actually, it looks like the hose on my Water-Pik shower massager thing.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:54 pm

Hard To Kill Records wrote:I'm actually a "she". Wow, I really love Tape Op, but am so disappointed to get such snarky remarks. Not everyone knows how to record, but I'm trying to learn and do something artistic. Thanks anyway.
Sorry about that, I had no idea you were a she. I was trying to clear up that you the OP were talking about headphones, because the answer I quoted made it seem like they though you were talking about the distance between players causing delay.

As for snarky, I think you're a little off there. We're smart asses, yes, but rarely mean or snarky.

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 am

This is probably the kindest, most sincere board I've been on ... in any genre. Perhaps she's new to the world of forums; a thicker skin is necessary.

(especially when asking a Google-worthy question)

But I digress.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm

we certainly could use more ladies around here, so OP please stick around.

hazmatt
audio school

Post by hazmatt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 pm

dfuruta wrote:Do you know what these were called? I guess I'm too much of a young'un to have experienced these, but I'm intrigued.
the set we have for our EEG system looks more like foam ear buds than the headphones pictures above, but in my field we call 'em tube phones
i don't know karate, but i know ca-razy

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 am

No perceptible delay the audio travels at the speed of light down the cable.
The only delay is between mic'd sound source and headphones.

SafeandSound Mastering
High end EP mastering

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Hard To Kill Records: If recording bands is new to you, one suggestion: do you have a headphone amp for the musicians' headphones for monitoring? Perhaps you give us some details on the gear you plan to use to record this DIY band project?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:54 pm

SafeandSoundMastering wrote: The only delay is between mic'd sound source and headphones.

I hope you meant mic'd source and mic. Cause the other is just confusing in this context. There might be delay in some ADA conversion if that's happening anywhere between the mic and the headphones as well.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

I had an instructor who told us whenever we were patching stereo signals around, to always use patch cables of the same length, otherwise the L and R signals would end up out of phase due to the delay induced by different patch cable lengths.

And I thought, waaaait a tick. That shit is moving at the speed of light in there. I smell bullshit...