Pro Tools 11 Is Out Now

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:28 pm

aw crap. another $300 bucks I don't really want to spend, but probably will so I can stay familiar with the current version. I looks like they are trying to actually improve the audio engine in a big way. I'm just waiting to see what bugs pop up, and see if any plugs I really rely on will be list with an upgrade.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 am

Not going to race into this one.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:23 am

I'll be waiting on this one, as I always do, for about a year.

There be bugs in that bed, mate...

Plus, If/when I do update, it will mean all new everything to run this software. Meaning at least 15k will have to be dropped.

My mixes sound great right now. They certainly do not "need" this update.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 am

Is this the one where you lose all your plugins and can't use Avid's own 003R anymore?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 am

That's always my first question when they announce a new upgrade: which hardware did they obsolete?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 am

The 002 is technically not supported by PT 10 I think, but it seems to work just fine.

It's also worth remembering that these upgrades are optional, not mandatory. I'm with Nick. If what you've got is working, stick with it. I was on PT7 for the better part of a decade before switching to PT10 late last year.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Since they're giving us offline bounce what features will be left to withhold for PT12?
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

According to this page the new metering options are only in HD 11.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:53 pm

mwerden wrote:Since they're giving us offline bounce what features will be left to withhold for PT12?
Hahahaha.

To be fair, I'm not sure they "withheld" offline bounce. It just wasn't feasible for them until now. They'd have to rewrite the program from the ground up to implement it. Which is exactly what they had to do anyway when making the move to 64-bit.

That's one of the issues with being first to market with software. Right out the gate, you're building upon an earlier infrastructure than other companies. With 11 coming out they had to redo a lot of stuff under the hood anyway. That's what finally got us offline bounce.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm

The Scum wrote:That's always my first question when they announce a new upgrade: which hardware did they obsolete?
Everything not HDX, and not MBox Pro.

You can however run both PT10and PT11 in the same computer. Just not at the same time. In other words you get to keep PT10 until you are ready to let go of it.

Digi003, all older MBox stuff, and any TDM anything, will absolutely not work with PT11. They announced this fact way back when they decided to do the hardware upgrade and total code rewrite, about 2 years ago.

Cheers

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Does it take 3+ minutes to load? I always enjoy that extra "me time" to reflect on life decisions.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 am

Actually Nick, according to Avid, the 003 and mBox 2 family are officially supported.

However, yes, the HD TDM PCI-e cards will not work.

Can you still use 3rd party FireWire/USB interfaces? Or, do I need an Avid interface again? I'm putting together a little mix room and I'm really interested in the SSL MX 4-16 with MADI card or a stereo USB DAC converter from Ross Martin Audio...

Also, if you are still in 9, you can buy the 10 upgrade now and they'll give you 11 for free when it comes available. That's the most affordable option...$299 for 10 and 11. Or $269 if you buy from Guitar Center and use their current 10% off promotion :wink:
Last edited by Sean Sullivan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

Bro Shark wrote:Does it take 3+ minutes to load? I always enjoy that extra "me time" to reflect on life decisions.
I lol'd.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:Actually Nick, according to Avid, the 003 and mBox 2 family are officially supported.

However, yes, the HD TDM PCI-e cards will not work.

Can you still use 3rd party FireWire/USB interfaces? Or, do I need an Avid interface again? I'm putting together a little mix room and I'm really interested in the SSL MX 4-16 with MADI card or a stereo USB DAC converter from Ross Martin Audio...

Also, if you are still in 9, you can buy the 10 upgrade now and they'll give you 11 for free when it comes available. That's the most affordable option...$299 for 10 and 11. Or $269 if you buy from Guitar Center and use their current 10% off promotion :wink:
Thanks, I just did not bother reading all the details.

I own two PT systems, my main HD one, which is the only one I am really interested in upgrading, and one "LE" which I did upgrade to 10 so I can travel with that iLok intead of the HD one.

I guess I can update that one, and "test the waters"... but again, not until the first maintenance release, at least.

Cheers