recording Didgeridoo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CFB4
pluggin' in mics

recording Didgeridoo

Post by CFB4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 am

going to do some didgeridoo recordings - thinking an RE 20 on the bell and an MKH 40 a little back. Any thoughts on capturing this instrument?
"It's the most devastating moment in a young mans life, when he quite reasonably says to himself, 'I shall never play The Dane!' "

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:53 pm

The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

CFB4
pluggin' in mics

Post by CFB4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Sorry, should have searched first
"It's the most devastating moment in a young mans life, when he quite reasonably says to himself, 'I shall never play The Dane!' "

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:07 pm

I only know because I did the same :D
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 am

When recording something a little unusual I used to walk around the room until I heard what I felt was the right balance and then place a mic in that position (sometimes I would up one ear and focus on that open ear only pointed at the instrument. Possibly a secondary mic at mirror image (if the room was nice) I think I would use a condenser mics.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
EP mastering

boid
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by boid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 am

SafeandSoundMastering wrote:When recording something a little unusual I used to walk around the room until I heard what I felt was the right balance and then place a mic in that position (sometimes I would up one ear and focus on that open ear only pointed at the instrument.
+1
that's a good starting point, no matter what instrument you're recording

a lot of the time I get the "when I mike my guitar amp it sounds so much harsher/different from what it actually sounds like"

well, have you ever had your ear 2" away from the speaker?!
sounds just like what the mic picks up if you take a listen

you've got to remember that you're hearing with a stereo microphone pointed away from the source
if you want it to sound like you're hearing it, put a mike where you hear it
even if that's 6 feet away...
and then you'll understand why a lot of professionals ramble on about how important a well treated room is

it's probably common knowledge around here, but I have to keep reminding myself so I don't forget

and on topic:
I agree on using an LCD (at least for the close mic)
I remember recording one once and it sounded a bit boxy and liveless with a dynamic (Tryed MD421 and MD441)
but that might have been the player and the instrument