replacement for Wave Burner and Jam

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GLEA
pushin' record

replacement for Wave Burner and Jam

Post by GLEA » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:26 pm

I have just upgraded to a new Mac Pro G5 OX 10.8.3, from a PPC G5. Had to jump to Logic 9. I just now realized Wave Burner is no longer part of the deal. I also had Jam on the old computer. I just use these to assemble mock ups of our albums. I don't master our records, so it's not critical work.

Other than iTunes, what is there I can use to do simple mastering and assembling? I run Digital Performer as well as Logic.

I did some searches and don't really see anything else. Will Toast do fades cross fades and such?
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I thought Waveburner came with Logic 9. Maybe it was a separate install?

EDIT: I think it only came with the boxed version of logic.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 am

Logic Pro does come with Waveburner (one word). While Logic Express does not.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4229

You can upgrade from Express to Pro, with an eBay purchase of an old upgrade.

Or buy a new full Logic Pro for 199 at the store.

God it's so cheap now. I've been a user since 4.8.1, and let me tell you mine cost over a grand with all the upgrading. Darnit.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:Logic Pro does come with Waveburner (one word). While Logic Express does not.

God it's so cheap now. I've been a user since 4.8.1, and let me tell you mine cost over a grand with all the upgrading. Darnit.

Cheers
I did buy the full Logic Pro, $199. No Wave Burner.
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 pm

GLEA wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:Logic Pro does come with Waveburner (one word). While Logic Express does not.

Cheers
I did buy the full Logic Pro, $199. No Wave Burner.
Do you have the install discs?

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I didn't know you could get logic pro disks.. I bought and downloaded from the apple store and don't remember being presented with that option.

-

DSP Quattro is a great mac program and will master / burn CDs but costs enough you'd probably need to find a use for its many other features.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 am

WillMorgan wrote:I didn't know you could get logic pro disks.. I bought and downloaded from the apple store and don't remember being presented with that option.
-
DSP Quattro is a great mac program and will master / burn CDs but costs enough you'd probably need to find a use for its many other features.
Then you bought only Logic Pro, and not Logic Studio, or the boxed set of Logic Pro.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB795 ... o?fnode=67

That is the FULL version which includes all the other software suites, including Waveburner.

You should try to find a used copy somewhere, if you really really want to use Waveburner.

This is another example of why I do not rely on Logic Pro anymore. Their support is laughable, and you can bet they will drop this software soon. Plus now with this online app store, they removed the ability to buy this FULL version of Logic Studio.

Cheers

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am

Hi Glea, I am online chatting with an Apple dude,

This is the word:

-------
Now Chatting with Brent

Hi! How are you?

Hi Brent, I only have one question today.

Ask away!

A friend of mine has Logic Pro, the DAW software, and wants to upgrade to Logic Studio, so he can gett the other suite of software, like Waveburner etc. Do you offer an upgrade path?

Oh okay!

What version of Logic Pro do they have?

The latest one, 9

Got it. There isn't an upgrade path. I'm sorry.

Well, can you tell your supervisor to create one? this is not the only friend who needs all that stuff, while owning only Logic Pro. thanks

Or, can he buy only Waveburner? That is the software he needs.

Waveburner is not sold separately.

Well that is not cool. I'll tell my friend then. Thanks for the quick reply and have a nice day Brent.

----------

So, if you want Waveburner, you'll have to buy it as a package in Logic Studio.

Apple sucks ass today. This week sucks in fact. Maybe the planets are alinged in some sucky way.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Waveburner Replacement

Post by alexdingley » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

hey there... Yeah, this has been frustrating for a lot of folks who worked in WB. I will say this; Waveburner was kinda cool, but it had some frustrating drawbacks, in the way navigation worked and whatnot... But I feel for the folks who are buying Logic Pro through the App Store, cause yeah... Waveburner is effectively dead.

For years, I had been using Waveburner for my authoring, but this italian software DSP Quattro for my stereo file editing and my sample-looping. It's pretty amazing as a stereo editor... but in the past the PlayList-burning (their answer to disc authoring) left a lot to be desired. I had always wished for a Stereo Editor + Disc Burner (like I used to have in the PC world with WaveLab).

... Flash-Forward to this year.. and the new DSP-Quattro v.4 has been vastly improved. They have a free demo you can check out for a while before you buy it. Also, it's come down in price a bit. I do all my mastering inside DSP-Quattro now. It hosts VST / AU plug-ins and you can do a heck of a lot... plus it burns Redbook discs and will output to DDP files. I'm loving it.