LED Bulbs in studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Jed wrote:I got the 9 watt "warm white" Cree bulbs and they perform almost exactly like regular incandescents. There is no detectable flicker or noise. They turns on immediately and produce nice light (in my opinion). The only way they differs is that they glows for about 1 second on turn off.
Where are you buying those?

I have a couple Phillips LED's I got at Home Depot. The Halogen replacements for my tracklighting are a little icy, but one of the regular bulbs seems pretty nice.

Jed
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Jed » Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 am

See the 2nd post...

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu May 02, 2013 4:42 pm

goose134 wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:There are some LED... er, not exactly bulbs. Elements? Cores? The actual working bit on a little tiny hexagonal heatsink, usually a "star" in the industry parlance.
The glowing bit on an LED lamp is called a light engine.
What the heck are you, a steampunk or something? :lol:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Or a Dr. Who fan ... (Is there a difference these days?)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Let's just say I'm very good at my job as an electrician in a very forward thinking, design oriented building. I've installed light bulbs most people didn't know existed. I try to keep up on trends.

I'm not Dr. Who. I'm Dr. Whom. :wink:
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Scodiddly wrote:And LEDs are instant on/off, so they'd definitely act like strobes.
Use a cap across them?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I just got done doing construction on a new facility (I've moved! Hooray!) and I went through nine different types of LED bulbs before settling on one that worked for me for the two isolation booths we upfitted. I tried several different Sylvanias, Samsungs, Crees, Philips, and that Lowe's brand that I'm forgetting now (several different models of each) and all but one of them either looked terrible, diffused light in a weird way, had an awful color, weren't bright enough, or made noise. Most of them made noise. I had high hopes for the Cree bulbs because they're relatively inexpensive, seem to be sort of durable (although I did drop on in line at the store and it smashed), are omnidirectional, and have a nice hue, but they do make noise. A quieter noise than most of the others, but a noise, no less.

I finally got several of the Philips 75-watt equivalent dimmable LEDs. They look great and a dead-silent with the Lutron LED-compatible dimmers. They're like $39 each, but with three hours per day of useage (that seems to be what most bulb manufacturers consider "average"), they're supposed to last 22.5 years and cost like $1.14 per year in electricity.

I'll be putting a few more of those in some other strategic spots around the studio.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat May 18, 2013 5:58 pm

cgarges wrote: I tried several different Sylvanias, Samsungs, Crees, Philips, and that Lowe's brand that I'm forgetting now (several different models of each) and all but one of them either looked terrible, diffused light in a weird way, had an awful color, weren't bright enough, or made noise. Most of them made noise.
Are you talking acoustic noise, or electrical noise? I'm guessing the former?

FWIW, I too smashed an LED bulb, but as the LED's themselves were still intact, I just put it in a shaded lamp and it works fine (dim, but fine).
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 am

Drone wrote:Are you talking acoustic noise, or electrical noise? I'm guessing the former?
Yes, acoustical noise. The noise floor in the new isolation booths is pretty ridiculous, so even the bulbs with only minor "whining" were distracting to me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sun May 19, 2013 7:02 pm

for no noise try candles

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm

accordion squeezist wrote:for no noise try candles
Depending how well sealed his iso booths are, the candles may use up all the oxygen, I think singers have a thing about wanting oxygen :lol:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Candles are cool until they eat through the bottom of the paper plate they're on and tear into the vinyl on the stool that the plate is on or until the singer knocks one over, spilling wax all over everything.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 am

I keep wanting to try lanterns.

Seriously, I have a cuppla hurricane lanterns that, when I've used them in outtages, have been very cool, atmospheric even.

But when I set out to record, I can't be arsed to set 'em up.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon May 20, 2013 11:02 am

Anything with fumes, or anything that's a fire risk, is probably a bad idea.

I imagine LED rope chains are probably the safest.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm

LEDSupply.com sells some pretty LED flex strip. Comes in various colors including a couple shades of white, and runs off 12vdc. Pretty impressive amount of light for something that comes with a sticky back so you can just attach it to stuff.