space echo repeat rate problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kordorama
audio school graduate

space echo repeat rate problem

Post by Kordorama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am

Hey all. I'm having issues witht the repeat rate of my re-201 roland space echo.

Turned off, I can spin the pinch roller ok, but it doesn't spin out for a while like a top or bike wheel. Yet it isn't stuck, or gunky.

When on, the capstan motor spins ok but after 5 - 15 seconds, it slows down to a grind. If I move the wheel away from the motor, the motor speeds back up (with a screwdriver pulling the screw and wheel away from the motor). Also if I remove the wheel completely and turn the machine on, the motor spins fine without that pressure on the motor/tape path.

Perhaps there is friction in the wheel? Maybe needs a re-grease, but that didn't really make a difference last time. Maybe the pressure from the pinch roller spring onto the capstan drive is overloading a failing capstan motor?

Any ideas id much appreciate, thanks
Kordorama
"One nation under a grooooove"

Kordorama
audio school graduate

Post by Kordorama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:19 am

UPDATE: cleaning/greasing the wheel did not help anthing. Problem persists
Kordorama
"One nation under a grooooove"

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Are you talking about this happening with or without the tape?

If it's WITH the tape, I would suspect the tape is sticking to the heads.

If it's WITHOUT the tape I would suspect either too much pressure from the pinch roller solenoid (a google search turns up the service notes and how to adjust this). I might suspect the motor bearings http://www.hillscloud.com/2011/06/rolan ... r-rebuild/

I feel like unless you dropped it it's pretty unlikely it's just too much pressure, although backing off the pressure may keep you running for a while if the motor is going bad.

Does your capstan have a lot of play in it?