Replace Digi 003?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Replace Digi 003?

Post by alexevansohio » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey all,

I currently have a Digidesign 003. I'm running this with a 2012 MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion. My DAW is generally ProTools 10, though I also work in Logic Pro 9 occasionally. The 003 doesn't work well in Logic at all, but tracks fine in ProTools.

I had originally bought the 003 with the plan of it being being the centerpiece of my studio. I was going to BLA mod it, get some good outboard pres, probably add a Rosetta 800 down the line, and have a solid 16 channel setup. Now that Avid aren't supporting the 003 range with the release of 11 (which is soon apparently), I'd rather not be using obsolete hardware, so am looking for an interface to replace the 003 as the centerpiece of my studio.

What I'm looking for:
-8 or more inputs
-4 or more outputs (preferably 8)
-the ability to connect other converters (probably via ADAT)
-the ability to bypass built-in pres (if there are any)
-USB, Firewire, or Thunderbolt (probably wishful thinking)
-low latency monitoring
-preferably rackmountable

I really like the feature-set of the 003, and would love to get a comparable piece. Conversion clearly has come on leaps and bounds since the 003, so I imagine nicer conversion would come at a cheaper price now, but I found the 003's conversion to be perfectly fine, and its pres were really functional as well. My only real concern with it is the looming lack of support from Avid and the fact that it doesn't play nice in Logic at all.

I'd really like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I would like a professional piece of equipment (as the 003 was considered in its heyday) and recognize that that comes at a price. The Apogee Ensemble seems like a good fit, but looking online it seems that they're phasing it out? Still, used price of around $1000 seems like a perfect fit. The UA Apollo is a bit out of my range at the moment. Under $1000 would be great, used or new. Any ideas?

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:58 pm

PT 11 will support the 003.

From the FAQ:
Avid wrote:Q: What Avid system hardware will Pro Tools 11 support?
A: Pro Tools 11 will be qualified to work with the following Avid systems and interfaces:
Pro Tools|HDX
Pro Tools|HD Native
Pro Tools HD Series interfaces (HD I/O, HD Omni, HD MADI)
003 family ...
I mean, they're abandoning a whole bunch of other stuff so there's bound to be a future release that orphans the 003, but you're okay for this one.

Planned obsolescence. That's digital recording for you.

= Justin

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm

If it was up to me...rather than replace your 003 right away I'd look at getting some external conversion fed in to their for now, which you'll be able to use later...and then when the 003 is really obsolete find something else with it.

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alexevansohio » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 pm

kslight wrote:If it was up to me...rather than replace your 003 right away I'd look at getting some external conversion fed in to their for now, which you'll be able to use later...and then when the 003 is really obsolete find something else with it.
I'm definitely thinking of doing that. I have some mics and pres on my list first before more conversion, but any recommendations for another 8 channels?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:54 am

alexevansmusic wrote:
kslight wrote:If it was up to me...rather than replace your 003 right away I'd look at getting some external conversion fed in to their for now, which you'll be able to use later...and then when the 003 is really obsolete find something else with it.
I'm definitely thinking of doing that. I have some mics and pres on my list first before more conversion, but any recommendations for another 8 channels?
Well of course Apogee is good if you like that, but I use an Alesis HD24XR for A/D and D/A conversion...via ADAT into an M Audio Profire Lightbridge. Very good for the money (poor man's RADAR) and you get a free standalone recorder to boot...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 am

I have been very impressed by the Focusrite Octopre mk2 preamps. That said, the times that I used it I clocked it off of my Black Lion modified MOTU 828mk2. The vocals, bass, and some keys for this track is the Octopre mk2, and everything else is through external preamps feeding the BLA 828mk2:

http://arcticsplash.bandcamp.com/track/denim-tuxedo

Those MOTU units may be old, but mine is still trucking along fine. You can find them used for $300, have Black Lion modify them for $340, and pick up the MicroClock mk2 for an additional $315. That's within your budget, allows you to work with the Digi 003 via lightpipe (or Aggregate Device), and gets you an upgrade in conversion and clocking for around $1000.

Aside from that, I will say that the Metric Halo 2882 is incredible, and I picked mine up used for $950 off of the TOMB in December. The MIO console is worth the price of admission alone.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:41 am

Motu.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.