Behringer X-32

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dave-H
pushin' record

Behringer X-32

Post by Dave-H » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 am

Looking at digital boards & I have read some great reviews. Not a perfect board but for the money & the mostly great reviews I may get one. What are your thoughts on this? I have had good & BAD luck with behringer equipment. Any help would be appreciated!
Dave Huffman
Will Drum For Money

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 am

They're popping up in venues all over. My favorite local venue just put one in. I haven't used it yet. But, they love it. I guess Behringer bought Midas, and this came from that???? I don't know anything about that either.

It looks interesting.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm

The fact that it uses fairly standard AES50 is a huge plus IMO. Instant networking with other AES50 gear AND Behringer's networkable personal monitor system (a-la Aviom, but works directly with the X32).

It seems extremely flexible will all of that bussing and DSP, and the Midas preamps are likely very usable. I do wonder about the AD/DA conversion - but I'm sure it is passable for a live console. IIRC I saw SOS claim a 1ms Analog-to-Analog latency spec - pretty impressive and half what the Venue is spec'd at (2.8ms). They must be using high-speed (low latency) converters for sure...

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm

I've been working on one over the past three months at a local venue and I'm finally starting to warm up to it. At first I didn't like it because I'm so used to analog boards. The way most analog boards are laid out is very intuitive to me at this point, so working on the digital board, scrolling through windows, that sort of thing threw me off. Now I'm pretty fast at it, and I am digging the LPF filters, EQ, gates, and comp/limiter on each channel if I need them. I like being able to LPF up to 200 or 300hz if I need to. EQ the floor monitors if there is a frequency that keeps ringing. The reverb and delay are ok sounding, pretty digital. Everything is very clean sounding in it, which is fine. I don't think you would be too bummed if you bought it.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 am

Thanks all!
Will Drum For Money

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Also there is a way to sync up an iPad to it and you can walk around the room and mix with the iPad on an app made for the X32. That is pretty cool if you have to set up your mix position in a spot that isn't very convenient for mixing, like in some corner, right up next to a wall, or off to the side of the PA.

Joe Sanborn
audio school

X32

Post by Joe Sanborn » Wed May 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi Guys,

This is Joe Sanborn with MUSIC Group.
I'm not hear to sell anything.
I have been an engineer myself for the past 25 years and love all things gear related.

I have extensive knowledge in regards to the X32.

If I can answer any questions in regards to the X32, S16 or P16 do not hesitate to ask, either on the forum or via PM.

In regards to Randyman's question:
The X32 uses Cirrus Logic AD/DA converters
Our latency is:
0.8 ms from local input to analog output

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 am

Thanks for the info Joe!
Will Drum For Money

toine6
audio school

Post by toine6 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am

I would be concerned about how you're going to get parts and fix it in the near future.

I have the Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer. Waited until the price dropped from the initial price a bit, got it for $750, then bought the ADAT upgrade for like another $100. Worked great for about 3 years of minimal use, racked in my studio (Probably 4 hours a week), and then it started acting up. First the fan started making a bad noise so I replaced that, then a month later the whole unit started acting up and flickering on and off.

Turns out lots of people had this problem with this unit. Apparently, the power supply was an inadequately designed, and only people that modify it have had much success. No (inadequate, or otherwise) power supply units are available to be bought from Behringer either. So it turns into a doorstop unless you adventure on your own and modify or build your power supply.

I still have the mixer, but it's just been sitting there for years. I eventually went ahead and bought an Allen & Heath unit instead of messing around anymore.

Now maybe with Midas being involved with the new mixers there will be some kind of after purchase service, but I think it's probably a case of paying for what you get. May be a decent unit while still shiney and new, but as soon as something goes wrong it'll be time to buy something else. Anyway, it's a gamble.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

That's often been the case with Behringer though - their gear is generally cheaper and even accounting for their incredible bulk buying, they do need to cut corners somewhere to make a profit. Especially with cheaper gear the mentality is often to replace rather than repair which isn't the best for the consumer or the environment...

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 am

I would be concerned about how you're going to get parts and fix it in the near future.
That would be my biggest concern, in buying a piece of digital gear like this, especially from Behringer. Something fries on it, chances are you can't just go on to the next channel, whole thing probably went out... And $3k is a lot of money to spend on something that has the potential of becoming a doorstop at the end of the warranty. I could be wrong, but that's the process I carry with my money...I guess we'll find out in a few years. I would be curious to see how long those motorized faders hold up as well...and if they sell spares/if they will be easy to replace. The integrated power supply concerns me also from a design standpoint...something tells me you could have overheating issues...