Logic 8+ML+Mackie Control Universal Pro ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Logic 8+ML+Mackie Control Universal Pro ?

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri May 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Looking at one of the Mackie Control Universal Pro CS. I'm using Logic 8 on a MacBook Pro. Will upgrade to a Mac Pro after the next rev.
Is anyone using the Mackie Control Universal in Mountain Lion?
I am worried about buying one because the Mackie site says no drive needed with Mac OS. But the latest OS revision they list is 10.7 (Lion).
Having recently been bitten by the deprecated codebase bug I am a little recalcitrant to dive in headfirst.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 pm

I'd respectfully not buy them, unless you can test it first.

I had these type units long ago, and upgraded to the Avid Artist series (previously Euphonix). Much better.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat May 04, 2013 7:25 am

I hear that. But I can pick up a used mackie for a fraction of the avid/euphonix price.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Logic 8+ML+Mackie Control Universal Pro ?

Post by Andy Peters » Wed May 08, 2013 3:31 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Looking at one of the Mackie Control Universal Pro CS. I'm using Logic 8 on a MacBook Pro. Will upgrade to a Mac Pro after the next rev.
Is anyone using the Mackie Control Universal in Mountain Lion?
I am worried about buying one because the Mackie site says no drive needed with Mac OS. But the latest OS revision they list is 10.7 (Lion).
Having recently been bitten by the deprecated codebase bug I am a little recalcitrant to dive in headfirst.
I have a Mackie Control Universal and I use it with Logic Pro 9 under 10.8.3 on my iMac and my MacBook Pro.

The non-pro is the older version which has standard MIDI ports, and I use it with whatever USB-to-MIDI dongle they had on the wall at Guitar Center and it works fine. It also works using the MIDI on my MOTU 828 mk2.

The thing is that the MCU only knows MIDI so there's no driver involved (except for the USB MIDI Class driver which ships with the OS).

The MCU Pro adds a built-in USB-MIDI port which also uses OS-provided class drivers. And those drivers work fine on Mountain Lion.
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed May 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply, the seller never got back to me on that last one. But I am still on the lookout.
I've used the HUI, control and control pro before. I am not crazy about the size of those units. The baby HUI is really more aligned with what I want, but I rarely see those for sale.
Besides, I am happy to put up with the additional bulk for something that is substantial with large obvious buttons.

Right now I am using an old Digidesign controller which really only works for transport control. The encoders are mappable, but have lousy resolution.
But it looks cool!

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Mackie

Post by alexdingley » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 am

I'm in more-than-partial agreement with Nick. They don't fly very well with Logic 9.x in 10.8.... via USB.

If you plug-them in via MIDI.... they're rock solid, but I only learned that after MANY hours of exhaustive testing and frustrated posts in this very forum. But once I switched to connecting them via MIDI only, they have been outstanding. For myself, I'm probably gonna go with Avid artist series... but for the client I was equipping... he liked the Mackies (larger buttons and labelings)

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Mackie

Post by alexdingley » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 am

I'm in more-than-partial agreement with Nick. They don't fly very well with Logic 9.x in 10.8.... via USB.

If you plug-them in via MIDI.... they're rock solid, but I only learned that after MANY hours of exhaustive testing and frustrated posts in this very forum. But once I switched to connecting them via MIDI only, they have been outstanding. For myself, I'm probably gonna go with Avid artist series... but for the client I was equipping... he liked the Mackies (larger buttons and labelings)