Adobe's subscription model for software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Adobe's subscription model for software

Post by chris harris » Mon May 06, 2013 4:29 pm

So, Adobe is no longer releasing Creative Suite software for purchase. They've switched to the subscription-only Creative Cloud for software distribution.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

I've been a Creative Cloud subscriber for nearly a year now and I love it. I don't really see any reason that I need to "own" the software that I use. I've never re-sold a piece of software. And, the price is fair, as far as I'm concerned. $20/month for a single app. Or, $50/month for access to EVERYTHING.

I'd pay $20/month for Pro Tools in a heartbeat.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am

I've been using it for a while now - mostly web/application stuff.

No complaints - works as advertised.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Depends. If you have the luxury of purchasing software at an educational discount...I bought Adobe CS6 for about $350 from the college my wife attends...which I don't use Adobe professionally so I don't feel unethical about it, then in the long run I'd rather not pay every month. But for a business that depends on expensive software, it IMHO absolutely makes a lot of sense.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 pm

They'll also have educational discounts for Creative Cloud memberships.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed May 08, 2013 4:13 pm

it's stupid.
Microsoft and a few other companies have tried this and eventually caved to demand by large enterprises that won't tolerate such annoying billing.
I work in broadcast and we have a lot of computers that are not allowed public internet access. I'd love to know how Adobe proposes to deal with that scenario?
Will they allow a site license type subscription model where we just pay them for two dozen seats and they trust us not to install more than that?
We cerntainly aren't going to put broadcast sensitive computers on the public internet just to satisfy one vendor. We are more used to vendors bending over backwards for us.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:17 pm

Yay for calaverasgrandes!

If I buy software, I can use it until I upgrade my computer and it no longer supports the version I bought. Otherwise, I have to rent it forever for a price that will eventually be 10 times what it originally went for? FU!

Truthfully, if I could find a normal company that did what Photoshop and Illustrator does on a Mac, I'd abandon Adobe in a heartbeat. That company sucks.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 am

How about Pixelmator and VectorDesigner?