Pre-Amp Recommendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu May 09, 2013 5:00 pm

ott0bot wrote:^yep.

it's only downfall is that it's single channel and has no monitoring. it's in only, so you have to monitor with your built in audio or sound card.

there are more elegant and versitile a/d convertors, but most don't have 70db of gain.
I have a ghetto setup where I monitor through Sennheisers, so that's not a big deal to me.

Though, only 1 input kind of sucks. Any other ghetto suggestions that have 2 inputs and fairly cheap? If I have to I'll get the one above but I'd rather have 2 inputs since my girlfriend sings and we might want to record together live.
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Okay, I bought the Art.
I guess I'll have to figure something out if we need more mics.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu May 09, 2013 7:45 pm

put it this way. you can but another inferface and still use this as a standalone preamp. I have much higher end pres but the art is still boss for an weaker signal you want to capture with a dynamic mic. great DI for bass too.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu May 09, 2013 8:00 pm

ott0bot wrote:put it this way. you can but another inferface and still use this as a standalone preamp. I have much higher end pres but the art is still boss for an weaker signal you want to capture with a dynamic mic. great DI for bass too.
Yeah, I am done buying gear. I just needed a mic and preamp because the PC mic sounds bad even for my taste.

I don't want to be a gear head dropping paychecks on this stuff. This is just a hobby for me. I had expensive (analog) gear in the past, and I wound up recording demos nobody heard on 5k in gear. Figure if nobody is going to hear these might as well spend just $35 on ebay. Wisdom!

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 am

chris harris wrote:That's not to say that I never encounter clients/situations where leaving options open is important. I definitely do. But, most of the time, we're going for a specific sound from the beginning.
Same here, but I go for the sound of the musicians, not the sounds of my recording gear. Turkey tracks require too much fixing and if that doesn't work, you get to recut flawed tracks. Performance always comes first, not the sounds of the recording chain. That is saved for later.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri May 10, 2013 8:55 am

different strokes

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Hate to say it, but the ART Tube MP sounds like it would possibly be the best match for what you're going after. Maybe try swapping the tube from something a bit more hifi though ;) Let us know how it works out!

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Warm Audio WA12 or Golden Age pre.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Perhaps an M-Audio Sputnic or Peavy VMP2 would be quality Hi-Fi options worth checking into as well.